recommended xbox games

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
i just finished skyrim and am looking for a new game. i don't care if it is an older game as long as it is fun.

i'm looking for something single player with a good story to keep me engaged. FPS and RPG is what i have mainly been looking at; however, i wouldn't mind branching out. i do own forza 2 and liked the game but it hasn't kept me wanting to play more.

i own all the halo games except for anniversary. i may pick that up this weekend unless something better is recommended.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Any Call of Duty game but World at War, Gears of War 1-3, Red Dead Redemption, Forza 4.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
BioShock 1 was cool. The Darkness is not bad, good to get through it in preparation for the second.

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009
Any Call of Duty game but World at War, Gears of War 1-3, Red Dead Redemption, Forza 4.

He said SP with engaging story, something none of those game have.

I second Mass Effect, and I add Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Splinter Cell: Conviction as a weekend rental.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I second Bioshock. Bioshock 2 was actually pretty good, so you have something to move into right after first one.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
i'd like to thank you all for your input. i'll be picking up bioshock or mass effect this next weekend. again, thanks.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Wow, that's all you guys can come up with? There are sooo many good ones. Of course, everybody's idea of an engaging story is different, but it's hard to argue against these:

Alan Wake
BioShock
BioShock 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City

Oblivion (since you liked Skyrim)
Dark Souls
Lost Odyssey

Resident Evil 5 (though I personally thought it was a major disappointment)
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Dead Space
Dead Space 2

Final Fantasy XIII (meh)
Fable 2/3 (meh)
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age 2 (meh)
Assassin's Creed games
L.A. Noire (don't get much better storytelling)
Eternal Sonata
Alpha Protocol (meh)
Risen

Plenty of others too. If you consider the story-telling in the Halo games to be good, than the Gears of War series is going to be right up your alley as well

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
He said SP with engaging story, something none of those game have.

I second Mass Effect, and I add Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Splinter Cell: Conviction as a weekend rental.

BS. Red Dead had a good story in SP mode.

Goothry

Oct 25, 2011
If you liked Skyrim you will probably like Fallout 3 and Fallout Vegas. You can probably get one or the other, or possibly both now, with all th expansions for under 30. It's basically an Elder Scrolls game with guns and less emphasis on armor.

If you want a challenge I suggest Dark Souls. However, be warned. It is fun, but you'll be tempted at times to throw your controller. I recommend that you don't use a guide. Makes it 20x harder to not use one but you lose that true feeling of accomplishment when you finish an area/boss.

For MWF I would say that you only have to play one of them. Pick one and play it because once you've played that one you have played them all. Those games are more or less created only for the multi player aspect, which is also repetitive.

I would say Gears of War is not worth playing. Story = half assed, Game play = repetitive. I know a bunch of people would disagree with me. If you have to play them I would just play the third. The second is, meh, and the first sucks hard. You could probably beat all 3 in one day, with breaks, while you surf the internet, and watch a movie. I can guarantee that you can beat the first one in under 5 hours.

I would also look into all of the assassin creed games. That said, depending on how fast you progress in games, they might only be worth renting as they only take 1 to 3 days to complete the main story of each. However, if you like to get the 100% completion they could take longer.

Fable games = ok. So long as you've never heard any of the hype, and if you don't know what I'm talking about then you probably haven't heard the hype and won't be disappointed by them.

If you never played the original halo I would highly recommend.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Agree to disagree. That game put me to sleep.
Really? I found it to be one of the best games ever. In fact, I started playing it again last week after finising it over a year ago. And the zombie addon is freaking awesome too.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Really? I found it to be one of the best games ever. In fact, I started playing it again last week after finising it over a year ago. And the zombie addon is freaking awesome too.

Probably one of the best games ever IMO also. I could not get into the zombie addon, but then again I already put in 50+ hours into the game and was ready to start something new.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Halo Anniversary is fun. If you loved the original Halo then it's worthwhile. Especially if you liked using the ridiculously overpowered pistol. Try to get a deal on it though; the multiplayer is the same as Halo Reach except with different maps.

It's not story-driven, but Forza 4 is really a lot of fun. Definite improvement in the single-player aspect since Forza 2. Don't bother with 3, it wasn't very good.

If you're okay with older games, the Ace Combat games are pretty fun and they're very cheap to buy used now. Story is hard to take seriously because of the poor English translation, but the gameplay is fun and a nice change of pace from your typical shooter (if you like the idea of flying around in a plane!).

Deus Ex HR sounds like fun, and Mass Effect 1 & 2 are pretty fun too and you'll get many hours of enjoyment from them.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Crackdown 1 was a lot of fun if you'd enjoy being a cross between RoboCop and Spider-Man, but it didn't have much of any story.

Crackdown 2 was playable but not as good.

Coalfax

Nov 22, 2002
Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood, from personal playing. Havnet gotten revelations yet.

RoboChobo

Jul 20, 2011

rageofthepeon

Jan 31, 2012
I'll give my recommendation for Red Dead Redemption as well. Top notch game that deserves all of the praise it gets.