• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question recommended router? please help.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
too many options: 2 people that work from home, we are moving and ill get wired stuff in eventually. service is not great, its a rural wireless system 50 mbps plan. but should be running fiber in the next couple years down this road. qos make any difference? need this by end of the month when we move, so would prefer in stock. im not huge into networking, but do plan on some cams and i have wireless tag sensors for the greenhouse/garden and will also be building a steel building for a shop about 200 feet from the house. i would like as much range as possible on the 5 acers because the cell service is a little sketchy. also considering google mesh. i would need to get a switch to go with it though. we will have whatever the newer samsung phones are in the nearish future.

i was looking at:
linksys ax3200
netgear ax5400
asus whatever.
google mesh

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
sure, I plan on running something wired to the workshop when I build that, and the solar system and batterys will have monitoring, and something to the front gate, but for now i just need to order something to get us started. we move in a month and have to be up and running that day to work. easiest thing is a wireless router. ill run wires after we are settled.

so go with whatever upper tier ASUS is in stock?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Evenn the biggest ugliest thing Asus has won't be able to cover everything. I would use a few different Asus units in aimesh mode to get what you need and then once you have some wires behind them their performance will improve.

Reactions: bigboxes

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Outdoor

Indoor

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I use Asus, but I only need coverage of 1000 sq ft. If you need coverage for the offsite. @SamirD is right about using a pair of Asus routers in aimesh mode.

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
but do plan on some cams and i have wireless tag sensors for the greenhouse/garden and will also be building a steel building for a shop about 200 feet from the house.
WRONG GEAR... Consumer gear should not be considered as your wants are very enterprise like.

By definition you need a UDM PRO.
Router + Protect + Access
Welcome to the Ubiquiti world...

But it can get pricey from here, but blows away all the other recommendation so far given without even batting an eye.
They also need some homework to setup properly, but there are a lot of us on forums who maybe able to help you out if you can not trouble shoot yourself.

But you should be looking at a UDM PRO, as it has everything you asked for in 1 package, and is enterprise grade.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
I disagree with anything Ubiquiti, based on hearsay on a number of forums.
My understanding is that U has taken a big dive in quality and support from where it was just a couple year ago.

Go check the Supported Hardware for router distributions like OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Merlin, etc.
Find something that newer and well supported and forum approved to get the homestead wifi running.

Then, you can either mess around with mesh routing, or run some Cat5e lines to run some POE AP's like Aruba has. You can pay stiff prices for exterior AP's/routers, however I got some tier 1 Aruba Interior AP's dirt cheap on eBay ($30/ea) and am just going to spend $30-40 for nice RF-transparent mounting boxes.

ASK THE COMMUNITY