Solved! Recommended 4U CPU Heatsink For Threadripper Pro 3995WX or 5995WX (64 Core/280 W)

Jan 13, 2022
Hello,

My company is building a 64 core Threadripper Pro (3995WX (or 5995WX if our system builder can get the CPU on launch day)), and I was curious what air CPU heatsink you would all recommend?

The case for the system will be the following Supermicro chassis : https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/4U/747/SC747BTQ-R2K04B

...which includes optional rack rails, and will be oriented horizontally (in a rackmount configuration + plus I'll be adding an additional Supermicro rear fan kit (https://store.supermicro.com/mcp-320-00046-0n-kit.html) for additional air cooling).

Unfortunately, the system will be running 24/7 and in a lab for many years with extremely expensive hardware, so a water cooling setup is not allowed, as a leak would result in $100,000 to $200,000 of damage (plus we all work remotely - and no one wants to be responsible for having to drain a custom loop).

I've seen some system builders (like Puget Systems):

...recommend the Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 (which lists a supported TDP of 280W):

...which is perfect (given that it fits in a 4U case, and was qualified by Supermicro to work), but when I actually asked Supermicro themselves, they recommended the following heatsink:

...which lists a supported TDP of 80W (plus the picture is of a CoolerMaster CPU heatsink).

Note: After speaking to a Supermicro representative, they stated that the SNK-P0066AP4 is indeed the CoolerMaster Wraith Ripper (which I’m certain won’t be able to handle a 64 core 280W CPU running 24x7 very well). Also, they stated that the listed socket and TDP were wrong on their site (which is pretty concerning coming from Supermicro).

For now I think the 280W SNK-P0064AP4 is my best option (as a larger Noctua won't fit in the 4U case), but just wanted to check with someone else if they had a recommendation.

I also recently found the following 300W SP3 cooler Freezer 4U SP3:

…which might fight in a 4U chassis (as some 4U chassis have a motherboard tray that causes the Freezer 4U SP3 not to fit - I personally don’t know if the Supermicro chassis has a motherboard tray, so I’m not certain if it will fit).
Furthermore, there’s nothing as far as real review data of the Freezer 4U SP3 (other than a single youtube video - where the presenter was unable to fit the Freezer 4U SP3 in his 4U chassis (with a motherboard tray)).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nelson

Last edited:
Solution
Well the freezer does look like a larger heatsink, i count 8 heat pipes with a direct contact.
But i would think the u9 would come close, as it looks like it has a larger diameter heat pipes.

There is a D9L with dual towers, but i do not think its TRX compatible.

To be honest, threadrippers are very difficult to keep in check without a complex custom liquid cooling system.
If the freezer works, then id stick with it, it doesn't look like a bad cooler from the appearance.
Jan 13, 2022

Noctua U9 should fit.
It 4U compliant as well.

I think its probably best in class for the size your looking for, until you go up to D15 where as you stated probably wont fit.

Hello AigoMorla,

Thank you for the input.

That said, unfortunately the NH-U9 thermal throttles on 280W CPU's like the 3995WX (per AdoredTV comparing the NH-U14, NH-U12 and NH-U9).

https://adoredtv.com/testing-noctuas-nh-u14s-nh-u12s-and-nh-u9-is-threadripper-better-on-air/

“Noctua has once again delivered at least a couple of coolers that perform well enough to make a water cooler look like a bad deal. The NH-U9, however, should be avoided with the newest Threadrippers due to just not being able to keep up with the thermal loads that content creation programs produce. The NH-U14S TR4-SP3 and NH-U12S TR4-SP3 get a solid recommendation, if you have the room in your case for them.”

Even system builders that use the NH-U9 (like Puget Systems), end up upgrading both fans on the unit, and only use the NH-U9 on X570S and TRX40 (and only up to 32 cores). When it comes to Threadripper Pro, they're using Supermicro heatsinks (which even still might have trouble keeping up with 3995WX in a hot server room).

Though the NH-U14 SP3 would be the optimal heatsink, it's unfortunately way too large at 165mm (height) and even the NH-U12 (which isn't that close in performance to the NH-U14 in my opinion), is 158mm (height). For your reference, a standard 4U chassis provides 158mm of height (for a heatsink) without a motherboard tray, and 145mm of height (for a heatsink) with a motherboard tray. Even though the NH-U12 should theoretically fit in the chassis, I don't want to take such a chance (plus you want to avoid the heatsink touching the case lid on the chassis).

Because of that, I decided to go with the Arctic Freezer 4U SP3 (which handles up to 300W and is 152mm in height).

Thanks,
Nelson

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well the freezer does look like a larger heatsink, i count 8 heat pipes with a direct contact.
But i would think the u9 would come close, as it looks like it has a larger diameter heat pipes.

To be honest, threadrippers are very difficult to keep in check without a complex custom liquid cooling system.
If the freezer works, then id stick with it, it doesn't look like a bad cooler from the appearance.

Solution
Jan 13, 2022

Hello AigoMorla,

Yeah I'll definitely stick with the Arctic Freezer.

As for the NH-U9, the dimensions aren't even close.

NH-U9 L x W x H (with fans) = 120mm x 95mm x 125mm

...whereas:

Arctic Freezer L x W x H (with fans) = 124mm x 156mm x 152mm

Absolute worst-case scenario, if things get too hot, we can move the server into a cooler environment, or if we absolutely have to use watercooling, we can go with an external unit such as a Koolance ALX:

...which helps mitigate leak issues damaging the system itself or nearby systems.

That said, for cooling I have:

1. Arctic Freezer (CPU heatsink rated for up to 300W)
2. Supermicro chassis (rated at 2000W with 4 internal high power fans + 2 rear fans)
3. Additional Supermicro rear fan kit

So I think I have my bases covered, but if push comes to shove, there are backup plans.

Thanks again,
Nelson

doyll49

Jan 28, 2014
Trying to cool Threadripper CPUs under hi-load applications is problematic even with the best air cooling available .. likely impossible to do in rack mount system. You will either need a good water cooler with radiator external of rack. To do it with air will require a well designed and built tower and air cooler combination. Even then NH-U14S AMD is only marginally able to cope. Themralright Silver Arrow TR4 with 2nd TY-143 fan and similar high rpm 140mm case fans will do it but it will be rather noisy under heavy load.