Recommendations on shipping a semi-full computer:

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Will be shipping a (somewhat) barebones system on wednesday. Here's the list of components:

Lian Li PC60 case
Mobo
P4 w/Alpha 8942
PSU
Audigy
Floppy Drive

Now, I have original boxes for everything, including the case. My questions is, I plan on shipping the original boxes to the buyer. Which of the components are ok just leaving installed in to the case? Leave the mobo/cpu mounted? Obviously, the more I leave in the case, the easier, as I can just unfold the individual boxes and slide them in to the case box. But, I don't want the quick and easy route, and I don't want stuff falling out and rattling around inside the case breakin shyt.

Give me some input on this. If it's best that I just uninstall everything and put in a seperate box, I can certainly do that as well.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
If you leave the mobo/cpu in there, take off the heatsink so that it does not pop off during shipping.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
I read on here before of someone shipping with the heatsink attached and it came off in transit and basically destroyed everything inside the case.

To be on the safe side I would at least remove the hsf.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
If the buyer will install the parts, you're best bet is to leave them in the original packaging.

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: bunker
I read on here before of someone shipping with the heatsink attached and it came off in transit and basically destroyed everything inside the case.

wow, if they are rough enough with it to pull off a clipped on heat sink, i think i would drive it wherever it needed to go

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah, remove the HS/Fan from the CPU.

Everything else should be ok as long as they're all securely screwed in.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Aight. Will take off the HS/F. now, it's an Alpha 8942, so it is screwed/mounted to the mobo.....but if i take that off, I'm taking the proc out too. Last thing I'd want is for the latch to come up and have the CPU flippin around in there.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by: bunker

OUCH!

I would be pissed if that hapened to me