Recommendations on meat tenderizers?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I'm looking for something to tenderize meat - usually beef steaks between 1" and 2" thick (we usually get Top Round London Broil - not the most tender of cuts).

Usually I grill steak, but because of the extremely cold weather lately and the fact that I ran out of gas I'm broiling it more often. I'd like to have that "restraunt-tenderness", but I have never used tenderizers in my life.

Is liquid or powder tenderizer better? How long should I leave the meat before cooking?

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
you should stop getting london broil and maybe look into pricier cuts like ribeye. you won't need tenderizer with that...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: bradruth
Just use your right hand. Isn't that normally what you use to "tenderize meat"? :D

I knew it was bound to happen...

I'm not fond of the idea of most tenderizers, but I absolutely love steak from some of the restraunts like Outback and... uh... the other one which I can't remember the name. I can't afford the $12+/pound steaks no matter what, and we eat beef quite often. I'd like to just make a better steak (though most guests I've fed had done nothing but praise my meat - har har har).

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: bradruth
Just use your right hand. Isn't that normally what you use to "tenderize meat"? :D

I knew it was bound to happen...

Just a matter of when. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I didn't jump at the opportunity.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Let them soak in one ounce of bud light for every ounce of meat for about 3 hours before grilling.

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Let them soak in one ounce of bud light for every ounce of meat for about 3 hours before grilling.

do you like that better than traditional steak marinades?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You don't marinade steak. I use this to tenderize it and make it able to cut an inch thick steak with a fork. It does nothing for flavoring. For flavoring I lather the steak up with some olive oil and rub in garlic salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and a few other seasonings right before grilling.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
You don't marinade steak. I use this to tenderize it and make it able to cut an inch thick steak with a fork. It does nothing for flavoring. For flavoring I lather the steak up with some olive oil and rub in garlic salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and a few other seasonings right before grilling.

I beg your shardon. I marinade steaks in Italian dressing and charcoal grill every weekend all winter long.

I guess I some sort of Bohemian, huh?

OCfreakley

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2002
I cut beef for a living
just buy top sirloin instead
if you buy it @ the right time & amount
it can be just as affordable as top round london broil
the beer trick works but usually causes cronic indigestion
from what I hear
top round LB= cow @ss :)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Squisher
Beat the steaks with one of those serrated mallets and marinate them for a day in Italian dressing.

I have one... but I'm not fond of pounding my meat. :D Seriously, it doesn't work as good as one would think, and I'm not going to spend an hour whacking away! HAHAHA!

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: Squisher
Beat the steaks with one of those serrated mallets and marinate them for a day in Italian dressing.

I have one... but I'm not fond of pounding my meat. :D Seriously, it doesn't work as good as one would think, and I'm not going to spend an hour whacking away! HAHAHA!

Goodness, this thread reeks of innuendo. You could shave it like a carrot, seriously! :Q;)

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: OCfreakley
I cut beef for a living
just buy top sirloin instead
if you buy it @ the right time & amount
it can be just as affordable as top round london broil
the beer trick works but usually causes cronic indigestion
from what I hear
top round LB= cow @ss :)

I wasted 10 seconds trying to find the rhymes because I thought this was a poem