Recommendations on a Photo Printer

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Well I don't use a photo printer. At least not one just for photos. I think that some of the inkjets do pretty good now-a-days. What will you be printing besides photos?

I have heard good things about the HP 1220. It is expensive at first, but I think it has individual cartridges for ink, so you just replace the one you need.

Also it is a wide format printer.

Will

InsaneMorphius

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Johnnie,

Would highly recommend the Cannon S800 or S900. I have used a lot of printers over the years for my digital pictures, and am totally loving the S800.

fell8

Nov 12, 2001
I don't know your situation, but if I had money to drop on a photo-specific printer, I'd probably just use it toward a color laser. A laser at 600x600 will completely blow away an inkjet a 1200x1200. Just my opinion.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Not on photo printing, sorry. Lasers just can't achieve the saturation brought by photo printers.

The latest six-color Canons are the best choice currently - comparable quality to six-color Epsons, but with cost reducing separate ink tanks (with really good and even cheaper 3rd party inks available), zero-margin printing for the real photo look, and in case of the "D" suffix models even direct printing w/o PC attached.

regards, Peter

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
I am using thenew WEpson c80 and love it. Great color. Fast color. Fast and great b&w too..

Overall the best printer i have had to date...

CanisEstInVia

Mar 5, 2001
My dad bought the Epson 1280 (review). It is sweet! The prints are almost identical to ones you get developed. He used to own an HP p1000, one of the early photoprinters. The Epson just blows it away. If you're willing to pay $500 for a printer, I suggest giving this one a look. Try finding a store with plenty of photoprinters displayed so you can do some print comparisons. Goodluck!