Question Recommendations for SSD for budget build

hurtstotalktoyou

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
Hi guys. I'm planning on a budget (<$400) build and I was hoping to get an internal 512GB SSD. However, I'm a bit confused as to what I should be getting, and how it interfaces with the motherboard.

For reference, I'm planning on getting this or something similar: Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM

That board says that PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 2280 is supported. So, I was thinking that this Silicon Power 512GB NVM2 would be good for it, which is affordable at $63.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? I've never heard of Silicon Power but then again I've never heard of most other brands either, so that doesn't mean much. I suppose I could spend $73 instead for this Intel drive. What do you think? I don't want to throw money away just because it's a name brand.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to how to even plug the thing in. I haven't built a PC in ten years, so I have no idea how this newfangled M.2 stuff works. I've heard some go in the PCIe x16 graphics slot, but it sure doesn't look like it fits. Maybe the PCIe x1 slot? But then why is it called x4? Confusing stuff.

Anyway, help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hi guys. I'm planning on a budget (<$400) build and I was hoping to get an internal 512GB SSD. However, I'm a bit confused as to what I should be getting, and how it interfaces with the motherboard.

For reference, I'm planning on getting this or something similar: Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM

That board says that PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 2280 is supported. So, I was thinking that this Silicon Power 512GB NVM2 would be good for it, which is affordable at $63.

Is there anything wrong with this idea? I've never heard of Silicon Power but then again I've never heard of most other brands either, so that doesn't mean much. I suppose I could spend $73 instead for this Intel drive. What do you think? I don't want to throw money away just because it's a name brand.
I'd personally go with this drive in that size if I were buying: https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-500gb/p/N82E16820250109

$6 more than the Silicon Power, but I trust the WD brand more.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to how to even plug the thing in. I haven't built a PC in ten years, so I have no idea how this newfangled M.2 stuff works. I've heard some go in the PCIe x16 graphics slot, but it sure doesn't look like it fits. Maybe the PCIe x1 slot? But then why is it called x4? Confusing stuff.
Just watch a video on YouTube on how to install a M.2 drive. It's easy, you just a small screwdriver (magnetized tip all the better to hold onto that small screw).