Recommendations for PC Games

Dwragon

Jan 18, 2009
Hi, this is my first post on Anand Tech and am asking if anyone has a suggestion for a PC game that i should get. Probably something around $20 because i have an unused $20 gift card leftover from Christmas.

So far I've been thinking of getting Counter-Strike: Source or STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.

Dwragon

Jan 18, 2009
What do i have? Well most of my games are FPS like TF2 and BF2, but i still like most other kinds of games like RTS and RPG.

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Originally posted by: ultimahwhat
Orange Box

This, or Mass Effect.

Yeah, you can find that for $20 at a few places.

What about Company of Heroes? I was thinking about getting into that in the next few months.

Dwragon

Jan 18, 2009
Does Mass Effect have good replayability value? Cause really that's what i'm looking for. I know that STALKER is pretty good for replaying when i borrowed it from a friend.

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
According to a friend who just played it, there are plenty of side quests you can skip the first time through. That's automatic replay-through new game material right there, eh? :p

Dwragon

Jan 18, 2009
Oh nice, thanks Jabbernyx! I don't know though my parents don't like using credit cards to buy stuff and i'm trying to use that gift card for best buy.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
STALKER
Supreme Commander (avoid if you have a older computer)
Dawn of War box set
Company of Heroes
Call of Duty 4
Medieval II
FEAR (try to get box set, even though the second expansion is so-so)
Command and Conquer: The First Decade (try to get the one with C&C3)
Battlefield 2
Oblivion (get box set with 2 expansions, I HAVE found this for $19 Canadian)

Unlikely to find but still good:
Mechwarrior 3 & 4 + Mercenaries
Homeworld (any of them)
Mech Commander

This is a list off the top of my head, not all games may be under $20 but if you see any of the above I recommend them.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: AtaruMoroboshi18
System Shock 2 is a must for those who love deep FPSs.

+1 for System Shock 2. One of the best sci-fi FPS titles of all times.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
If you like RTS, Supreme Commander is pretty much where its at. I couldn't get my friends into it, but despite that I put hundreds of hours into it and played with some of the best players on the competitive side and with friends made in custom games on the noob stomping side, and it was a ton of fun. I don't play much anymore, and I will say that if you start playing now you're bound to get stomped on occasion by people who have been at it for a long time. If you can get a friend into it and play 2v2, its amazing.

As for RPG, well, Diablo 3 comes out maybe next year, otherwise you can try titan quest if you don't mind the repetition of diablo 2 without any of the fun. There's not much out that's good multiplayer. Try Mass Effect, its like KOTOR if you ever played that.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you can dig around and fine Oblivion Gold or Ultimate or whatever the hell they call it for a low-low price I would highly recommend it.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
Sounds like you need to use that Gift Card at Best Buy? If so, i just looked at their website and found these recommendations:

Mass Effect 19.99
Oblivion (Game of the Year edition) 19.99
Bioshock (rated Mature) 19.99
World of Goo 19.99
Galactic Civilizations 2 (turn based strategy) 19.99

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: Ganeedi
Sounds like you need to use that Gift Card at Best Buy? If so, i just looked at their website and found these recommendations:

Mass Effect 19.99
Oblivion (Game of the Year edition) 19.99
Bioshock (rated Mature) 19.99
World of Goo 19.99
Galactic Civilizations 2 (turn based strategy) 19.99

Seeing that list, I would say Mass Effect or Bioshock.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
If you can use your gift card at Target they usually have some good jewel case deals for $9; you could get 2 games.

I just bought the Galactic Civ 2 jewel case there.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
If you want replayability and like strategy you might try Rome:Total War. Truly one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of PC gaming and still looks fantastic.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
OB. Or if you can find it and never played, the first Half-Life. I still play it and nothing compares, not even its own sequels. Ahh, goodtimes.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Black Mesa is supposed to come out this year. It's a total conversion of Half-Life 1 using the Source engine.