Recommendations for an External HD

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by Crism, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Crism

Crism Senior member

Hey everyone,

I've been out of the PC game for so long it's not even funny so my apologies in advance. I'm currently running around with just a slim Asus laptop that's slowly getting tight on storage. I've got no desktop PC to slap a big multi-TB drive in so I'm looking at an external USB one. What's the recommendation now-a-days? I'd probably use it as a storage drive for photos/videos/backup of all sorts. I've always hated 5400RPM drives so I'm looking for 7200RPM or better...are external SSDs a thing?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Recommendations External Forum Date
    Recommend external hard drive? Memory and Storage Jul 26, 2017
    External Hard Drive Help/Recommendation Memory and Storage Dec 6, 2014
    Recommendation 4TB External HD Memory and Storage Aug 23, 2014
    Need new HDD's. Recommendations please ? External HDD failed "I think" UPDATED Memory and Storage May 4, 2014
    Recommend an external storage unit for mac Memory and Storage Mar 4, 2014

3. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

My choice is. the WD 1TB Black my passport -usb 3.0 compatible 2.0

4. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Good choice, however, my preference is always to roll my own with an external case + HD.

5. dlerious

dlerious Senior member

Which external enclosures are you using? I've been using the WD elements or MyBook drives (prefer external power). I wouldn't mind slapping some of the older drives I have gathering dust in an enclosure. I've tried those toaster looking things, but didn't care for them. Looked similar to this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000H5 .

6. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

Also, when shopping for externals that come with a drive, beware of always on encryption.
    If the controller dies on you, you will be SOL, and you can't get that data back.

That is why I like Corky's advice, it is better to create your own external drive, and not put up with the encryption BS.

Yeah, you can also get external SSDs if you want, just beware if they say "hardware encryption" on the box though.

7. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

I hesitate to say - I have about 6 of them - all Vantec, and they have performed perfectly for several years. I would trust major brands carried by mainline sellers such as Newegg, and rely more on specs.

The item you linked is a docking station. I've never used one of those.

8. ronbo613

ronbo613 Golden Member

I have 1,2 and 4TB WD My Passport external drives and can recommend them 100%. Very small, can fit a couple in my laptop bag. I also have external enclosures that I put drives in as they are replaced by larger drives but have most recently kind of bailed on the external enclosures and use a docking station.