Recommendations for a refurbished laptop/notebook on the cheap

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by dud, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dud

dud Diamond Member

I am currently in search of a good used laptop/notebook to purchase for a family member as a gift. They currently use and old Dell Latitude D630 Core 2 Duo so anything close to a "modern" machine should be a vast improvement. Since the old D630 lasted so long (built like a magnesium tank) was thinking of another Latitude. The machine would be used for general purposes. What would you buy in the $100-$200 range for a used machine?

Thanks ...

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Recommendations refurbished laptop Forum Date
    Used/refurbished $425 SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 25, 2017
    Yet another laptop recommendation needed thread SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 8, 2017
    Recommend a laptop with drawing abilities for college student? Surface Book? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 5, 2017
    YALRT - Yet Another Laptop Recommendation Thread SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Aug 14, 2017
    Compact Gaming Rig Recommendations SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Apr 5, 2017

3. JWade

JWade Platinum Member

4. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

5. mynameisphunk

mynameisphunk Junior Member

What do they use it for? Could they get by with a Chromebook? I'm finding there is little I can't do with my 15.6" Acer Chromebook this side of PC gaming, and it's $199 at Best Buy currently.

6. bbhaag

bbhaag Diamond Member

In April I purchased this HP EliteBook 8460P for $122. I see it is $150 now though. It's a fine machine that does what I need it to do. Watch youtube, surf, pron, email, ect. I did have a spare 2gb stick of ram laying around. Going from 4 to 6 did make a noticeable performance improvement. Also because it is a business grade laptop it is very heavy. I just use it on the sofa but if I had to carry it around with me everyday I would look for something lighter.

7. dud

dud Diamond Member

Thanks all. I am considering your recommendations. Its been a while since I bought a laptop so this has been a good opportunity to learn.

8. ninaholic37

ninaholic37 Golden Member

Are you sure they want another laptop? I'd be happy with the Latitude D630 if it was still working.

9. Torn Mind

Torn Mind Diamond Member

Newer Latitudes have crappy screens.