Recommendation hose for draining boilers

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I have to do routine draining of the radiator monthly and the bucket style is kiling me, I tried a regular garden hose once and it got too hot to handle. A lot of the hose I found can't take high temperature, is there a special one or type I need to get so I dont burn my hand off ? Thanks

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
I have to do routine draining of the radiator monthly and the bucket style is kiling me, I tried a regular garden hose once and it got too hot to handle. A lot of the hose I found can't take high temperature, is there a special one or type I need to get so I dont burn my hand off ? Thanks

Buy some gloves.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why do you have to drain the system every month? That seems excessive to me.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
It was converted from oil to gas, and the pipes r stinky dirty, the plumbers told us if its not drain monthly till all the crap is gone, it will clog the system.. from the oil gas forums, 'This process is an essential step to get out all the residual oil left over from the piping. Oil on the surface will impede the boiling ' So the drains been black water.. really dirty.

I found some high temp rubber ones, 210 degrees one, not bad 50 ft for 24 bucks.. saves me from carrying buckets every few min... its not the gloves im worry about, its the hoses melting off from the high temp.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It was converted from oil to gas, and the pipes r stinky dirty, the plumbers told us if its not drain monthly till all the crap is gone, it will clog the system.. from the oil gas forums, 'This process is an essential step to get out all the residual oil left over from the piping. Oil on the surface will impede the boiling ' So the drains been black water.. really dirty.

I found some high temp rubber ones, 210 degrees one, not bad 50 ft for 24 bucks.. saves me from carrying buckets every few min... its not the gloves im worry about, its the hoses melting off from the high temp.
I'm more confused now. Are you draining the hot water loop or flushing out the burners? The oil (or gas) and water should never come into contact.
Back on the actual topic, why not just shut the system down before you drain it?

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
So basicly your plumbers suck.
If you have to skim more than twice, then your plumbers used excessive threading oil and don't know how to clean their piping and nipples before putting their piping together.
Just plain lazy or not competent.
You don't just thread pipe and throw it together, you clean it before assembly to remove contaminates and chips or debris that may have gotten in it, especially when cutting into or tying into an existing system.
You might expect that from a homeowner, but you should never expect it from someone that calls themselves a plumber or that is getting paid to do a job.
And to tell the customer that he is responsible for doing the skimming...………… :mad:
How many other shortcuts did they take.
Was the piping even pressure tested?