Recommendation home theater system - budget under $400

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
FYI "wireless" speaker still need to be powered somehow. Usually that means that there's some kind of amplifier that you have to plug into a wall outlet at the back of the room and run wires from that amplifier to the two surround speakers.

Considering the bulk of the additional amplifier, the need for another outlet, and then having to run speaker wires to the surround speakers anyway... I think "wireless" speakers are not that great of a feature.

Add to this that "wireless" speakers often have issues with sound quality and signal interference and I'd say avoid them if possible.

Onkyo generally makes pretty good HTIB units.

Is your mom looking for a specific look to the speakers?

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
I'll second Yoyo on avoiding "wireless" speakers. There will still be at least the one "wire" that'll hook up to the wall for power for the rear speakers, so you aren't really cutting down on the number of wires. Run the wires across the ceiling or under the carpet or something if it's a big deal. There's plenty of different cables made for running inconspicuously as well as cable runners and things to guide them

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I'm selling a like-new Onkyo 5.1 HTIB - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2044533

It's a great system for the price. Retails for $300, I'm selling for $175 and half shipping. I'll include a free Philips slim DVD player as well.

Edit: Apologies if this is spam. Just wanted to give him a choice that would kick the crap out of that Samsung HTIB at a nice price.

Last edited: