Question Recommendation for wireless router option and placement

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi guys,

I'm looking to recontract with my ISP, and they're offering the following router options for a discounted price. I can choose among the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000, Asus RT-AX88U and the TP-Link Archer AX11000 for the same price.

I stay in a 2-storey apartment, and am currently I'm using an Asus RT-AC2600 as the main router in the 1st floor living room, which connects via Cat6 to a Linksys Maxstream EA8100 (also AC2600) in AP mode in the 2nd floor study room. Most, if not all my WiFi 6 devices that require higher wireless network performance (laptops/desktops) are in the study room, and my other devices either don't support WiFi 6 or don't require the high wireless network performance (Smart TV, AV receiver, mobile devices, smart appliances) so I'm thinking of re-using the RT-AC2600 where it is, and replacing the Linksys AP with the new WiFi6 router.

Any idea which choice would be better? Also, does my placement make sense?

Thanks!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I think you're on 2 forums and that's why I'm having a bit of dejavu here. You should post the bit about construction and the 50% savings.

For half off I would take the offer if it's not factored into your ISP rate for renewal. The WiFi 6 won't make a huge difference but having 3 devices scattered about should improve your numbers for coverage.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah just covering my bases :) Having lived in my country for the majority of my life, I forgot that construction is different in the USA.

FYI I would be replacing 1 of my 2 routers with the new router, rather than adding it to my existing routers.

Which of the 3routers would be the best, and based on my usage, should I replace the main router, or the AP?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000
I believe, that out of those three listed, that is the only router with BOTH a 2.5gbe WAN and LAN, so it would support a 2Gbit/sec symettric ISP connection to a wired LAN.

I actually pick this up a few months ago, for MSRP ($399 USD) @ Newegg. I have yet to actually deploy it, waiting for 2GBit FIOS service to reach my town in MA. I don't know how the wifi is.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I have yet to actually deploy it
Why wait? Did you at least plug it in and make sure it works when it arrived? What if it's DOA? $400 sitting in a box for months on end doesn't make much sense. Considering the pace at which these things change I would have waited until you had the service vs just buying to have it and keep it in the box. They're not collectible ;)

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Stick with the ASUS router. I switched from an ASUS router to a TP-Link Archer AX90.

It sticks in my craw that you have to pay for the TP-Link Tether Pro app to get features that ASUS has built-in.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yeah just covering my bases :) Having lived in my country for the majority of my life, I forgot that construction is different in the USA.

FYI I would be replacing 1 of my 2 routers with the new router, rather than adding it to my existing routers.

Which of the 3routers would be the best, and based on my usage, should I replace the main router, or the AP?

Did you ever consider possibly moving to access points, and not using consumer based routers with built in wifi?
I would probably keep whatever router you have right now which is the most stable, and throw on a small POE switch, followed by a pair of dedicated access points.