Question Recommendation for stock air cooler replacement - i7 11700 CPU

mikehd

Nov 16, 2003
Just built a new desktop for my spouse with the i7-11700 and have been using the stock included cooler. After a few gaming sessions I've grown to despise the fan whine from said cooler and am now considering replacement options. The case cannot support AIO solutions so air cooled is the only option.

I like Noctua coolers and am leaning towards the NH-U12A. I'm also considering the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 due to it's lower cost and being potentially quieter at higher CPU loads, but the lack of RAM clearance specs concerns me.

The RAM in use in Corsair Vengeance LPX with a height of 33.5mm so I'd think the Dark Rock would clear but they don't have RAM compatibility tables like Noctua.

Let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

mikehd

Nov 16, 2003
Based on this I finally noticed, it looks like the Dark Rock 4 fan will interfere if that first RAM slot is occupied, but I might be able to move the fan up far enough to clear. Not a current issue, just if we ever added 2 more sticks.Screenshot 2022-01-16 141239.png

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
the fan on the sink can be on either side without consequences, so if its having issues with ram clearance and unless your on a Enthusiast platform with quad channel + ram, just move the fan to the other side.

The Mugen 5 is a great sink, so is the dark rock pro.
The Vetroo V5 is also another great sink at a cheap price point as it seems you are not overclocking.

DEEPCOOL GAMMEX is another cheap alternative.

ID-COOLING SE is also not a bad sink if you want to go bling with RGB.