Recommendation for an IGI2-like game for outdated hardware?

boren

Dec 13, 2009
I'd like to buy a tactical shooter game as a gift to a friend. He like IGI2 a lot, so this is the general direction. The problem is that his hardware is pretty weak and outdated by today's standards:

GPU: NVIDIA GeFORCE 7025 / NVIDIA nFORCE a630 (on board, as far as I understand)
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 dual core 4000+ 2.10 Ghz
RAM: 2GB (reported as 1.87GB, the difference is probably the memory allocated for the graphic card)

Can any modern tactical shooter run reasonably well on such hardware? The last time he played IGI2 was with 1024x768 screen resolution and no AA and he was fine about the performance and quality. He later upgraded to an LCD screen with higher resolution (1280x1024 if I'm not mistaken), but he hasn't played the game since the upgrade.

Thanks! :)

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Combat Arms. It's like CS without the bling. haha. It's designed for integrated graphics. Also has gun upgrades to keep you hooked. lots of players, almost all hackers, so feel free to hack.

boren

Dec 13, 2009
Looks good, but as a freeware it's not really suitable for a birthday gift. Any other suggestions?

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Looks good, but as a freeware it's not really suitable for a birthday gift. Any other suggestions?

hahahaha, Buy him 100000000 worth of game money. :D:D

OR if ur dedicated,, Level an account up for him..

OKOK,, those are too 'geek-love' gifts...

wow ,, could you imagine of a GIRL did that for you. wow,, I would instantly overcome my misogynistic views and marry her.

If you can find it,, There are still players for HALO 1/2 PC. They're both decent, and at least HALO 1 should run on his computer.

You COULD just buy him the Steam pack with CS, CSS, etc. the source engine games might not run as well, but CS def will, and Still LOADS of players.:sneaky:

Aug 11, 2008
If this is a desktop comp, you could get him a low end graphics card such as an AMD HD4650 or 4670 if he has an at all decent power supply. Then he could run many valve shooter games at low/moderate resolution and quality.

For example, Team Fortress, the half life series of games, etc, or even something like the early Call of Duty or Medal of Honor games.

boren

Dec 13, 2009
I already bought him a couple of games - Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2.

Both are pretty old (2005 and 2008 respectively), so hopefully they'll run ok on his hardware. If not, then I guess he'll need to upgrade his graphic card.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I've been playing Sniper Elite a bit, and it's kind of fun.

2005, I think.