Recommend UPS

Facecard

Nov 29, 2017
I am looking to buy a UPS to support my iMac and various equipment including printers, Xbox 360 and other PCs. I was looking at Cyberpower UPS maybe the CP1500 mini tower model to support my equipment. In addition, I have a modem and router to protect as well. Perhaps, I could have that equipment on its own UPS.

Is it overkill to have two UPSes to protect a separate group of equipment OR should I have one UPS that protects everything?

Any thoughts on the Cyberpower CP1500 model?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
UPS kinda suck...still sporting the heavy lead acid battery with super short run time. We really need a breakthrough. Anyways it always good to have plenty of them around to protect equipment and have as much run time as is possible. I vote for having things separate.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I prefer to use one UPS per computer, although I accept the practice of having two system to one UPS IF-- the UPS provides sufficient wattage, and IF -- you have the systems in the same location so that you can shut down one of the systems manually during an outage (at least when you're at home). In that case, I wouldn't leave the second computer running when away from the house.

To clarify, most of these units do not allow for a communications link with more than a single computer. If they do, they require purchase of a ~$150 accessory that fits inside the UPS with a rear-panel port-presence for Ethernet communication.

For other equipment, like XBOX or home-theater systems, I don't think you can do any "smart UPS management" or arrange for the equipment to be automatically shut down with an outage. So like the 2PC/1UPS example above, you'll need to be present for manual power-down. You don't want these UPS devices to discharge completely: it shortens battery life noticeably.

Also, my one firsthand experience with CyberPower was unpleasant. It wasn't compatible with my computer's Seasonic PSU. What kind of UPS company would fall short with that kind of limitation? I've had TrippLite, Belkin, CyberPower and APC. I now prefer APC models -- exclusively for the time being.

I know one electronics tech whose monthly Social Security is a limitation, and he only uses surge protectors. I just think such an approach is inadequate. UPSes are an insurance policy, and I haven't lost a piece of equipment to a thunderstorm or other electrical interruption since I started using them. I've never corrupted a drive or lost data since I started using UPSes. All of my equipment seems to have marvelously long lifespans.

So here is an option. You can buy refurbished UPS models that are twice as expensive new, and get reliable battery replacements at the same place:

Refurb UPS

I also think they sell new units. Check 'em out.

Facecard

Nov 29, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I have used older APC UPS models before so I know APC is good. I haven't tried TrippLite or Cyberpower yet. Most likely, I will split protection into two groups. One will be Mac and other equipment and the second one will be modem and router. Thanks.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I prefer to use one UPS per computer, although I accept the practice of having two system to one UPS IF-- the UPS provides sufficient wattage, and IF -- you have the systems in the same location so that you can shut down one of the systems manually during an outage (at least when you're at home). In that case, I wouldn't leave the second computer running when away from the house.

To clarify, most of these units do not allow for a communications link with more than a single computer. If they do, they require purchase of a ~$150 accessory that fits inside the UPS with a rear-panel port-presence for Ethernet communication.

For other equipment, like XBOX or home-theater systems, I don't think you can do any "smart UPS management" or arrange for the equipment to be automatically shut down with an outage. So like the 2PC/1UPS example above, you'll need to be present for manual power-down. You don't want these UPS devices to discharge completely: it shortens battery life noticeably.

Also, my one firsthand experience with CyberPower was unpleasant. It wasn't compatible with my computer's Seasonic PSU. What kind of UPS company would fall short with that kind of limitation? I've had TrippLite, Belkin, CyberPower and APC. I now prefer APC models -- exclusively for the time being.
How long ago was that? The only thing I vaguely remember was something with Active PFC power supplies possibly. I'm running 4 Cyberpower units (3 CP1500PFCLCD and 1 OL1500RTXL2U) with Seasonic power supplies (Snow Silent and Prime Ultras). I haven't had any problems.

Reactions: bigboxes

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
How long ago was that? The only thing I vaguely remember was something with Active PFC power supplies possibly. I'm running 4 Cyberpower units (3 CP1500PFCLCD and 1 OL1500RTXL2U) with Seasonic power supplies (Snow Silent and Prime Ultras). I haven't had any problems.

It was a particular model, and I as I remember you are right vaguely about "something with Active PFC . . . "

I relegated that unit to support my home-theater components. About two months ago, it really went on the fritz and died. It wasn't just the battery. It just died in a frenzy of noise and could not be reset or resurrected.

That doesn't mean that Cyberpower is forever doomed, but when I have that sort of trouble, I make decisions and move on. As long as APC units seem reliable and last through several battery replacements, I'm sticking with APC.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
It was a particular model, and I as I remember you are right vaguely about "something with Active PFC . . . "

I relegated that unit to support my home-theater components. About two months ago, it really went on the fritz and died. It wasn't just the battery. It just died in a frenzy of noise and could not be reset or resurrected.

That doesn't mean that Cyberpower is forever doomed, but when I have that sort of trouble, I make decisions and move on. As long as APC units seem reliable and last through several battery replacements, I'm sticking with APC.

There's lots of good options out there. Eaton and APC (and their company derivatives) have answers for the market from the most budget under-desk unit to 480/600V systems supporting over 1MW of load. They're good options if you are doing service contracts and other support guarantees (or if you've got good pricing from a VAR).

I also really like Minuteman as well, as they make very solid units with longer warranties and lower prices than the big guys, because they don't have the branding. Opti-UPS is also pretty good, but very spartan.

I like CyberPower's double conversion Online units and higher end SmartApp lines, but their PFC Line Interactive units have repeatedly been undersized and underwhelming to me in teardowns.

Reactions: dlerious

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
UPS manufacturers are shrinking batteries while tossing on needless features like LCDs to maintain profits. Even pure sine wave is not strictly necessary unless you hoping to backup induction motors like lawnmowers, refrigerators, or washing machines.

For its price point, the older Cyberpower 685AVR brings more battery than its competitors at the price.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
UPS manufacturers are shrinking batteries while tossing on needless features like LCDs to maintain profits. Even pure sine wave is not strictly necessary unless you hoping to backup induction motors like lawnmowers, refrigerators, or washing machines.

For its price point, the older Cyberpower 685AVR brings more battery than its competitors at the price.

At the store I ignore the rating and pick them up to see how heavy they are....can't hide a bigger heavier lead acid battery.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
UPS kinda suck...still sporting the heavy lead acid battery with super short run time. We really need a breakthrough. Anyways it always good to have plenty of them around to protect equipment and have as much run time as is possible. I vote for having things separate.

Yeah... why don't they have UPS units with smaller Lithium Ion batteries? You would probably get more runtime that way as well.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
https://www.batterypoweronline.com/...-batteries-in-uninterruptible-power-supplies/
Far more dangerous to transport and no air transporting allowed.

You wouldn’t want to fly lead acid batteries either, because they are damn heavy and they would cost a fortune to ship.

Sure, I wouldn’t want 50 pounds of Lithium in my office, but a smaller UPS that uses something like an 18 cell Lithium Ion battery pack shouldn’t be too dangerous.

Is this one of those situations where the existing UPS manufacturers got lazy, and we need to wait for a young upstart like a Tesla to get things moving?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
You wouldn’t want to fly lead acid batteries either, because they are damn heavy and they would cost a fortune to ship.

Sure, I wouldn’t want 50 pounds of Lithium in my office, but a smaller UPS that uses something like an 18 cell Lithium Ion battery pack shouldn’t be too dangerous.

Is this one of those situations where the existing UPS manufacturers got lazy, and we need to wait for a young upstart like a Tesla to get things moving?
If you had read the entire article, you would seen other relevant points. Such as a BMS board to monitor for any short. The BMS needs to run off the battery power, meaning the Li-ion batteries cannot be partially charged like those that come with power tools or cell phones.

Or that different Li-ion batteries are regulated by their varying energy densities, with phone batteries, tool batteries, etc falling into the lower energy density category while a UPS's Li-ion battery has a high energy density. Lower energy density batteries can be transported by plane while high energy ones cannot.

The article also provides a cost breakdown as well as mention that Lithium-phosphate as the most promising technology.

As far as air transporting goes, it sure didn’t sound like that they were talking about shipping to an end user via Ups.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
there are UPS units being made/sold with Lithium based batteries. Both Eaton and Tripp-Lite make them i know.

But if you want a lot more runtime without going way over on the VA ratings, you need to look at ones that accept expansion units.