Question Recommend to me a web-browser to replace EDGE which doesn't cause this problem . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For many months, I had noticed an annoying problem with Windows 10. I had built my systems to be extremelly fast, even with a dated processor and chipset. I often make a lot of web-queries, seeking answers to all sorts of questions and looking for all kinds of information. For some things more than others, I'm inclined to leave the web-pages open until I'm sure I won't return to them anymore regarding the reasons I opened them in the first place. I might have about ten or more tabs open on my web-browser over more than a day's time. Parallel to this practice, the responsiveness of Windows would deteriorate. If I had just booted the computer to a fresh desktop, clicking the "Start" button would raise its menu in less than a second's time. But after a day's worth of use, you could count three seconds. And the same behavior would manifest in the responsiveness of open software. Of course, these sorts of delayed responses lead to mistakes and other trouble as a user navigates menus and title bars.

I began to look for reasons I could control: miscreant software, drivers, utilities I run perpetually (my RAM caching software, for instance). Nothing I could do would resolve the behavior, other than closing all my files and software, then rebooting for a fresh start.

I eventually discovered that the number of tabs I kept open in EDGE had something to do with the degraded responsiveness over time. I experimented and confirmed it.

Then, a friend who is just a "mainstreamer" told me he'd actually read about this flaw of Windows (and EDGE) which was never fixed by MS.

I have used alternative web-browsers before. I only inclined toward Explorer and EDGE because they're provided with Windows and it seemed simpler to stick with them. But I use Chrome on my Android tablets; I've used Firefox and other options before.

I think I"m at a crossroads here. Can anyone recommend a web-browser that doesn't exhibit the behavior I've described with the entire OS -- slowing it down over time?

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Then, a friend who is just a "mainstreamer" told me he'd actually read about this flaw of Windows (and EDGE) which was never fixed by MS.
All browsers have a point where they slow the system. With edge save your open pages in collections (edge feature, they are in the cloud). They can be opened modified and deleted as you desire.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'd go for saving bookmarks/favourites (In Firefox I can just save a whole bunch of open tabs as bookmarks), and also switch off the settings in Edge > System & Performance: startup boost, and allow to run in the background. That way, Edge properly closes when you tell it to, so any issues it's experiencing/causing should also go away.

Jul 27, 2020
I used to use Edge. Stopped coz it can eat a lot of RAM and feel slower coz the system gets bogged down. Now I prefer Firefox and haven't seen any serious issues with 16GB RAM on my work PC.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You should check what is causing the problem.

Check Edge menu, More Tools, Browser Task Manager, see which tab or extension is eating up CPU/memory.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For now and as an experiment, I've switched to Chrome.

All this advice is vastly appreciated. I'll have to explore more deliberately over the next few days or a week. For now, I'll see what happens with Chrome. Someone also mentioned Opera and another alternative. All good.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Can anyone recommend a web-browser that doesn't exhibit the behavior I've described with the entire OS -- slowing it down over time?
Given enough RAM, I really like Firefox for extended-browsing sessions. I leave mine open all of the time, only rebooting for Windows Update or re-starting for Firefox Updates.

I have 64GB of RAM in this box, as well as a 12C/24T Ryzen 9 5900X, but that's really not quite necessary just for Firefox, though nice to have.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'd go for saving bookmarks/favourites (In Firefox I can just save a whole bunch of open tabs as bookmarks), and also switch off the settings in Edge > System & Performance: startup boost, and allow to run in the background. That way, Edge properly closes when you tell it to, so any issues it's experiencing/causing should also go away.
I was thinking the same thing. It's super simple in firefox. Right-click on a tab or the area beside a tab and select "select all tabs". Then right click that area again and click "bookmark tabs" and give the folder a name. I used today's date.

The folder can be found in bookmarks - bookmarks toolbar or another folder if you choose. If you leave the bookmarks toolbar visible the toolbar will appear below your address bar for easy use or deletion.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
I was thinking the same thing. It's super simple in firefox. Right-click on a tab or the area beside a tab and select "select all tabs". Then right click that area again and click "bookmark tabs" and give the folder a name. I used today's date.
I love this feature. Another cool one is save the whole webpage as a screenshot.