Recommend some Unix books

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
I'm a coder but trying to learn more about Unix first so I can have a well-rounded foundation before I start coding with Unix API calls and sockets and the like (which is my goal).

Are there any essential Unix books you guys can recommend? I keep seeing "Unix Power Tools" has good reviews. "UNIX System Administration Handbook" also has high reviews too but it sounds moreso about theory?

There is an O'Reilly UNIX CD Bookshelf I've looked at (very cheap... $62 CAN) but I kind of like my books tangible... then again you don't have to bother juggling books and can just have it on your desktop while you try stuff out!

Anyhow I'd love to hear any recommendations you have :)

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
forget the books, just install it on a spare box and fudge around with it, you'll get the hang of it if you arent stupid.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: neutralizer
Unix for Dummies? if it exists.

It's called Unix for Masochists, I believe :p.
Seriously, look at O'Reilly's books, I liked their "Running Linux" book

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Ameesh
forget the books, just install it on a spare box and fudge around with it, you'll get the hang of it if you arent stupid.

Eh toyed around with NetBSD and FreeBSD for a couple weeks but think I'm still missing out lots by not reading something structured front to back.

I want to read + toy around after I read a chapter sort of deal heh.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Unix in a nutshell is a great book for all those oddball commands and strings you'll never remember but may need at some point.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't know of a good book for just Unix alone, but the late Richard Stevens' book on programming Unix is, or at least was, the best available. His TCP/IP Illustrated books are > * also.

Really, I can't think of much worthwhile to learn about Unix outside of what you learn when you start coding for it. A lot of Unix books do nothing more than distill what you get from man anyway.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
btw when actually starting coding in linux you are going to find out what the word "assgoblin" really means. So many things are so ridiculous you will want to shove your head through the monitor.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
btw when actually starting coding in linux you are going to find out what the word "assgoblin" really means. So many things are so ridiculous you will want to shove your head through the monitor.

LOL :beer::D <-- Hefeweizen for you.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Descartes
I don't know of a good book for just Unix alone, but the late Richard Stevens' book on programming Unix is, or at least was, the best available. His TCP/IP Illustrated books are > * also.

Really, I can't think of much worthwhile to learn about Unix outside of what you learn when you start coding for it. A lot of Unix books do nothing more than distill what you get from man anyway.

Descartes thanks :)
Have APUE and UNPv1 already heh. Just that I still thought to seek more understanding and more tools that I've not used.

I can get around but I know only the utmost basic things: more, less, head, tail, grep, cat, chmod, umask, ls, kill, ps is about the extent of my Unix knowledge ;(

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think I have copies of Unix Power Tools and some other O'Reilly Unix books I could sell you. Your PM is turned off. PM me if interested.

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Thanks guys. Think I might just go with the online CD bookshelf for this one because its only $62 CAN and has 7 books (of which I think I'll only use 5 of them but still worthwhile).

kranky how much were you looking for for the UNIX Power Tools?

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
miniMUNCH

Have Eric Raymond's book already ;)
Good book though I've not read more than 100 pages in so far.

This thread means to find some more handson--tools, commands and whatnot.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes

LOL :beer::D <-- Hefeweizen for you.

:D i take it you know my pain, and you know the complete denial that all these linux fanbois are in

DWW

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2003
Ameesh:

hrm don't know about assgoblin and I'm not sure if I should be glad I'm not a linux fanboi :)

btw "slashdot is red." in your sig... is that like Soviet red?