Recommend some recent games

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
So I just got a 1440p 165hz monitor, also ordered and waiting for my Asus Strix 1080. Man I'm having a blast, beautiful display and super high fps glory. What are some recent, fun games? I've been out of the loop but I'll throw in a few I played that I really liked (I love third person adventure)

Overwatch
Evil Within 2
Lego Avengers
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Uncharted 4 (unfinished)

How are the Call of Duty and Battlefield games nowadays? Haven't played those in ages. Which one to start with? Any opinions on the new WW2 one would be appreciated.

Hope you guys have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I almost got a block when trying to come up with recent third-person action/adventure games on the PC. There's of course plenty but... recent ones? They won't necessarily push your new system's limits mind you. Just mention ones that fit within the category you're looking for and aren't too old. After looking a bit into it, I'd say:

- Nioh (haven't played it myself but saw some streams and the usual reviews, looks good enough, maybe you'd like it)
- Assassin's Creed Origins (I wouldn't play it myself but it's there)
- Shadow of War, would also mention Shadow of Mordor, why not (I own Shadow of Mordor, never finished it but never 'hated' it, I just lost interest mid way in the campaign; I haven't bought SoW but I am intrigued so I'll wait and see if it might end up on a sale during the inevitable holidays sales around including Steam's, of course)
- The Telltale Batman game, Enemy Within I think it's called? That one, well it's more story-based (cinematic style) and very linear but you might still like.
- I keep reading good things about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I looked into it (what it's about, etc) and I know it's not my type of game but you could always give it a go if you'd happen to like that stuff.
- Quantum Break (never played it myself but it looks like a third person action game)
- Dying Light (if you're into zombies stuff, I have it myself and I thought it was actually pretty good overall except the campaign's story prior to the expansion's was a bit disappointing)
- Dark Souls 3 (I got it, played it about 15 hours so far... it's... not for everyone; you need patience, a lot of patience)
- Metal Gear Solid 5 (never played it, my interest in the MGS series stopped after 2, but 5 is supposedly good although feels rushed from what I read and heard of it)
- Mad Max (I actually completely forgot that game existed until I saw it mentioned on a list of games I looked at for this thread, from what I recall it was "okay"'ish)
- The Witcher 3 (I got it, and its DLCs; I'm still 'stuck' in the brothel. It's a fun game, honestly, but pretty time consuming although in a good way generally-speaking; but the exploration is on the bland side of things for me overall even though there's usually pretty-looking vistas to come across as you do, but in the grand scheme of things I do consider the game very good)
- Dead Space series (s'not that recent anymore by now but maybe you like that stuff, I played the first and never finished it, I own the second and never installed it; I'd have to finish the first one anyway)
- And maybe the remastered versions of both DarkSiders games too. The originals are fun gameplay-wise but maybe their graphics will turn you off. However, the remastered versions aren't exactly visual masterpieces either but there's improvements so why not those. They're both good games really. I finished the first one and really liked it)

That's about it for now.

Reactions: OCNewbie

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
I almost got a block when trying to come up with recent third-person action/adventure games on the PC. There's of course plenty but... recent ones? They won't necessarily push your new system's limits mind you. Just mention ones that fit within the category you're looking for and aren't too old. After looking a bit into it, I'd say:

- Nioh (haven't played it myself but saw some streams and the usual reviews, looks good enough, maybe you'd like it)
- Assassin's Creed Origins (I wouldn't play it myself but it's there)
- Shadow of War, would also mention Shadow of Mordor, why not (I own Shadow of Mordor, never finished it but never 'hated' it, I just lost interest mid way in the campaign; I haven't bought SoW but I am intrigued so I'll wait and see if it might end up on a sale during the inevitable holidays sales around including Steam's, of course)
- The Telltale Batman game, Enemy Within I think it's called? That one, well it's more story-based (cinematic style) and very linear but you might still like.
- I keep reading good things about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I looked into it (what it's about, etc) and I know it's not my type of game but you could always give it a go if you'd happen to like that stuff.
- Quantum Break (never played it myself but it looks like a third person action game)
- Dying Light (if you're into zombies stuff, I have it myself and I thought it was actually pretty good overall except the campaign's story prior to the expansion's was a bit disappointing)
- Dark Souls 3 (I got it, played it about 15 hours so far... it's... not for everyone; you need patience, a lot of patience)
- Metal Gear Solid 5 (never played it, my interest in the MGS series stopped after 2, but 5 is supposedly good although feels rushed from what I read and heard of it)
- Mad Max (I actually completely forgot that game existed until I saw it mentioned on a list of games I looked at for this thread, from what I recall it was "okay"'ish)
- The Witcher 3 (I got it, and its DLCs; I'm still 'stuck' in the brothel. It's a fun game, honestly, but pretty time consuming although in a good way generally-speaking; but the exploration is on the bland side of things for me overall even though there's usually pretty-looking vistas to come across as you do, but in the grand scheme of things I do consider the game very good)
- Dead Space series (s'not that recent anymore by now but maybe you like that stuff, I played the first and never finished it, I own the second and never installed it; I'd have to finish the first one anyway)
- And maybe the remastered versions of both DarkSiders games too. The originals are fun gameplay-wise but maybe their graphics will turn you off. However, the remastered versions aren't exactly visual masterpieces either but there's improvements so why not those. They're both good games really. I finished the first one and really liked it)

That's about it for now.

The best game you mentioned by FAR is Witcher 3. I consider it one of the best games ever made.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I haven't kept up with gaming, but the new Doom and Wolfenstein look pretty awesome and fun as hell.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The new Doom is a lot of fun, much more than Doom 3. Also its been getting awesome reviews all across the web. I recommend you check out Steam and see if its marked down.
If not, buy it anyway.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The new Doom is a lot of fun, much more than Doom 3. Also its been getting awesome reviews all across the web. I recommend you check out Steam and see if its marked down.
If not, buy it anyway.

New Spring 2016?

It's 50% off now $15 on Steam.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
My purchases for this steam sale
Dark souls 3
Dying light
Borderlands the pre-sequel
Tales of berseria
Fallout 3 and 4
Southpark stick of truth

If you haven't played any PC games in a few years would recommend (looking at my steam list's most memorable games):
1) the witcher series (ie witcher 1, 2,3)
2) the dark souls series (DS1, 3, 4)
3) the elder scrolls skyrim (throw in oblivion as well if you missed it though its over ad ecade old)
4) the borderland series
5) fallout series (ie fallout 3, new vegas, 4)

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
ELEX is a third person post apocalyptic open world RPG from the guys that made the Gothic series.