Recommend scary books for an "advanced" middle school reader

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
i guess i should mention that they do have basically a gangbang at the end of "it" lol

it didn't bother me too much in 8th grade...

infact....

er, n/m

Right, I'm sure a normal 8th grader could read it just fine but it probably isn't appropriate for a teacher to be recommending it.

Gujski

Aug 3, 2001
It's funny that many people mention "It" by King, that was the first real 'advanced' book I read, probably around 8th grade. I dont think it is too bad for an 8th grader in terms of content, although it probably couldnt go on required class lists without parents having a fit...

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Pandaren
it didn't bother me too much in 8th grade...

infact....

er, n/m

:D

Phantom of the Opera was once considered very scary, don't know how it measures up today though.

The Raven used to have people shivering in their knickers, too.
rolleye.gif

:p

get him some classics, too. 1984 and Animal Farm come to mind, they're fun to read. If he reads at a 12th grade level, get him The Brothers Karamazov. if he finishes Karamazov, then we as a whole on AT should each give him a buck. :)

get a summer reading list from the local high school, and give it to him. theres good books to be read there.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
Stephen King - Salem's Lot

talk about scarring the crap out of me when i was a kid...i had watched the movie...while I was reading the book..so extra visuals in my mind!
The kid floating outside the window always freaked me out! :)