Recommend me mobo for z390 build

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
Hi guys,I'm kinda finishing my build,it's time for mobo to choose. I'll be running 9700k,16gb ddr4 and probably 2070 or 1080ti or 2080,whichever will be on sale or smth.
I don't need:
RGB,wifi etc...
I want to do mild oc (20-25% from base clock) because I don't want cpu to run on max tdp/power etc. Just solid quality board and maybe 4-5 fan headers for better cable management instead of fan controller.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I went with the Maximus Hero. High end without all the custom loop and LN nonsense. Solid overclocker and outstanding UEFI. On a side note if you think you will get 20-25% OC on the 9th gen chips you're smoking the good stuff. People are getting a few hundred MHz at most.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
On a side note if you think you will get 20-25% OC on the 9th gen chips you're smoking the good stuff. People are getting a few hundred MHz at most.

It's possible to get a 25% overclock out of a 9700k. They just need a little extra cooling to get there. ;)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12891/evga-roboclocker-a-water-cooling-loop-for-liquid-nitrogen-

EVGA3_678x452.jpg

Reactions: DigDog

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I went with the Maximus Hero. High end without all the custom loop and LN nonsense. Solid overclocker and outstanding UEFI. On a side note if you think you will get 20-25% OC on the 9th gen chips you're smoking the good stuff. People are getting a few hundred MHz at most.

I just received my Maximus Hero XI (WiFi) a few days ago. I was going to get the Maximus Formula but got tired of waiting & decided to go w/ a HSF, the Noctua NH-D15S. Still waiting for the 9900K from B&H Photo. I went with 6 Noctua Chromax (black w/ red trim) case fans, 3 front/in, 2 above out, 1 rear/out.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm sorry,maybe I'm wrong with calculations ? Base clock is 3.6 and if I want it to be something around 4.5 isn't it around 20-25% oc or am I missing something?

It will spend a majority of the time above that (its boot frequency is 4.9 Ghz). That's the number overclockers are interested in, and what you should base your overclock off of. It's such a new CPU, but as of right now, Silicon Lottery has there figures at 28% of tested 9700k CPUs can hit 5.1 Ghz or higher.

Like The Sauce pointed out, you will be looking at 200-300 Mhz most likely before you run into heat/voltage issues.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Yah, stock boost of 4.9. Max OC maybe 5.2 if lucky. Thats about a 5% OC

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
It will spend a majority of the time above that (its boot frequency is 4.9 Ghz). That's the number overclockers are interested in, and what you should base your overclock off of. It's such a new CPU, but as of right now, Silicon Lottery has there figures at 28% of tested 9700k CPUs can hit 5.1 Ghz or higher.

Like The Sauce pointed out, you will be looking at 200-300 Mhz most likely before you run into heat/voltage issues.

ok,anyways :) what about mobo recommendations ?

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Asrock Z390 Taichi is great, and Gigabyte seem to have really stepped up their mobo game with Z390. All their ATX-size Aorus boards have very good or better VRMs, including the Elite, Pro, Ultra, Master, Extreme models. (Elite, Pro, and Ultra have identical VRMs, Ultra and Master have unique ones that are even better). MSI's Meg Ace board has a good VRM too.

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
You get me lost guys with all this variants :( can't decide which one to take.... I'm just usual gamer with no special needs (setting records in oc,putting 128gb ram,editing video,3way sli and etc) All I need is good quality (vrm,components etc) board for 9700k...

Temuka

Dec 27, 2014
So I narrowed down to this mobos:
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WIFI - 200 euro
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F and E - 225 and 250 euro
ASRock Z390 Taichi - 250 euro

Should I go with Gigabyte mobo? I'm kinda feeling I will pay extra 25% for Asrock and Asus and will not use their extra features they provide or am I missing something ? Please give me recommendations because I need to buy it ASAP

Thanks in advance!

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Should I go with Gigabyte mobo? I'm kinda feeling I will pay extra 25% for Asrock and Asus and will not use their extra features they provide or am I missing something ?

Get the cheapest board that has all the features you feel you need. The Gigabyte Aorus Elite should be the cheapest of the (good) Gigabyte boards, so I would recommend that if you want to save some money. If you feel you need the WIFI feature, get the Aorus Pro Wifi. Both boards have the same VRM and can overclock with ease, you'll run out of CPU cooling headroom long before you hit the limits of the VRM.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If I were buying one today, it would be the Z390 Taichi.

while its a great board if falls short of the EVGA Dark.
https://www.anandtech.com/Show/Inde...therboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed

I pretty much gaurentee, if you dont need 4 ram slots, that the Dark will smash every board in quality and even handle a 9900K without breaking a sweat.

Hi guys,I'm kinda finishing my build,it's time for mobo to choose. I'll be running 9700k,16gb ddr4 and probably 2070 or 1080ti or 2080,whichever will be on sale or smth.
I don't need:
RGB,wifi etc...
I want to do mild oc (20-25% from base clock) because I don't want cpu to run on max tdp/power etc. Just solid quality board and maybe 4-5 fan headers for better cable management instead of fan controller.

ahh... then i actually second a Taichi on build.
You wont need the Dark at all, and yes i highly recommend ASrock over Gigabyte, as the build quality is drastically better until you start going up the ladder with the Z390 Master.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Aorus Master, and that is only judging by VRM temp / power chokes. i have same question which to get, i love the asrock brand and never liked gigabyte but after research and checking temps and everything the aorus master is 100% worth the money at 290$. Second choice would be asrock tachi / extreme 4 / gaming itx. They all have nice power delivery but nothing compared to the temps on the aorus master. (50C with heatsink 80C with out) and all the other boards i have seen are 85C with heatsink.

been reading about the evga dark. looks great so far but not really for sale yet so how to buy it. I have a asrock extreme 4 for 150ish for a backup board or board till i figure out aorus master or the evga dark ;)

Last edited:

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
ASUS fan here. ASUS has the others beat cold on UEFI and long term stability and reliability. The recommendations for the others are based on VRM issues which seem overblown and likely only an issue for hardcore overclocking. I built with a Maximus Hero XI Wi-Fi and I am very happy with it.

For the average gamer not interested in squeezing out the tippy-top highest OC, the UEFI is a more important issue and the VRMs are not a factor.

Last edited:

letmepicyou

Banned
Jul 17, 2009
I personally just upgraded my old 4790k system (due to failing clock in mobo) to a new i7 9700k. The board I chose was the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi, and I can attest to how beautifully it runs. I have 16gb Gskill Trident DDR4-3200 RGB onboard with an Asus Strix GTX 1080. Boots from a 500gb Samsung 950 Pro NVMe with a pair of 500gb Samsung 850 evo's in RAID 0. So if you still have the Gigabyte in your sights as a possibility, I highly recommend it.