Recommend me an inconspicuous backpack that can carry a notebook

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
Here is what I am looking for:

- Has notebook compartment
- Looks ordinary and not like it was designed to carry a computer
- Gray/Black or other dark color scheme, no bright colors like red, looks bad around office
- No more than $50.

I can't seem to find one. I checked eBags and either the bags look really stupid, or the design is nice but the color I want is out of stock :|

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Go to Best Buy and check out the Swiss Gear ones. They have a bunch, I think ranging between like $40-$80. I got one that was like $40-$50 retail and I love it. Well built, great compartments, and respectable padding. The straps are really tough too, when I load it up with books & lappy, it doesn't think about straining. Love the little pocket at the top too, which is designed to hold a portable CD player, but I put my AC adapter in it. Just perfect :)

imported_waldo

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
I have one by the company "Uphill", aimed at college kids, but looks like a normal backpack, has a warranty...and has lasted me 3 years so far and 3 trips around the world..prety good in my opinion!

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
Which one do you have Waldo? I took a look and the Krusher Backpack 655 seems to be just what I am looking for.

SPECIFICATIONS
2500 c.i.,18x15x8 in.,3.00 lbs,1.36 kg
FABRICS
Waterproof 1680 Denier Ballistic, 840 Denier Ballistic Ripstop
QUALITY POINTS
Double Lock Stitching, Taped Seams, Heavy Nylon Inner Lining
FEATURES
Body Contour Ergonomic Shoulder Straps for Ultimate Comfort, Aerospace Mesh Padded Back, Deluxe Padded Waist Belt with Zipper Pockets for Keys or Cell Phone, etc., Water Bottle Pocket, Organizer with Key Clip And to top it all off - a computer pocket! (Fits up to 15" monitor)

http://www.uphill.com/product....rodcode=655&hook=0

Nice, simple design, looks like a hiking pack, and its waterproof. I think I might order this one if noone else has any other suggestions! Thanks!

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Don't get a notebook backpack. Get something like the Fellowes Body Glove (from Amazon) for $20. Then you can put your notebook in a normal backpack and it'll be completely inconspicuous. Works beautifully and looks good too.

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
That's a good idea. I would actually do that if I had a normal backpack. I just wonder though if it is more expensive to buy a sleeve and a bag than just a bag.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Got myself one of these for $30. Best backpack for carrying a laptop I've ever had. Plain looking, nice arrangement of zippers/pockets. Works just as well as a standard backpack w/o the computer.

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Pandaren
That's a good idea. I would actually do that if I had a normal backpack. I just wonder though if it is more expensive to buy a sleeve and a bag than just a bag.

Got my jansport backpack for around 20 bucks years ago. The sleeve I got for 20 bucks like 3 or 4 months ago. If you need both the backpack and the sleeve, the savings is only around 10-20 bucks. But a normal backpack is generally much slimmer and cleaner looking than these laptop backpacks. They have waay too many pockets and look kinda bulky. To tell you the truth, they look just like the big backpack my 11 year old brother uses.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'd just go for a normal backpack. Mine was like $25 and it has a compartment in the back that fits mine perfectly.

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Check out the Eastpak Unplugged. So good for my needs that I rebought it after my laptop was stolen... :( Both times I scored on Buy.com for just around $20 shipped on special.

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
Had the same problem a while ago and after much searching came up with this:

Targus matrix West Point Eddition

$55 at PC connection
http://www.pcconnection.com/Pr...21&SourceID=k22350

As low as $45 using froogle:
http://froogle.google.com/froo...mp;btnG=Search+Froogle

Why is this better than the targus grove mentioned above or the normal targus matrix? The Targus logos were all removed for the Army/Westpoint version.

When I see the name targus on a bag I think laptop. The normal version has a targus label on the back and every single zipper pull has the targus name on it. Without all the targus targus targus targus the bag looks a lot better and does not yell steal this bag!

Good luck!

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Most all half-decent school backpacks have a padded compartment these days. Things to look for is if the padding is sufficient -- some it's too thin to be of any use. Also, make sure your laptop can actually fit into these things. This is especially the case if you have a widescreen-type.

cy7878

Jul 2, 2003
Jansport backpack all the way. They have a lifetime warranty on all their bags. If one ever rips or breaks, just call the 800 number and they will replace it free. The last time I paid for a bag was 1990 and they have since replaced my bag twice -- both times free.

Panthr710

Oct 22, 2001
I got this backpack a while ago, and it works great for what I use it for. The laptop that I have is fairly small and the laptop sleeve is snug around it, so im not sure if a big widescreen DTR is going to fit, but if you have an ultraportable, it is a great pack, and Dana is an amazing company. Al's sports (where the link takes you) is a good retailer as far as i can tell (I got my pack from them) but you can shop around.

The Dana Designs Arcadia

Hope that helps

Dan

AEnigmaWI

Jan 21, 2004
check this out Tom Bihn Bags

They aren't the cheapest, but man are they good.. and you can buy the "brain cell" accessory, which will protect your laptop, then throw it in any old decent bag... or if you buy one of theirs, it will fasten securely inside....

Seriously, awesome bags. Waterproof, heavy weight materials... =)