Recommend me a product or two please

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Thanks for any help in this area...

Basically I bought a new house that has a large first floor and a smaller upstairs. I decided to put my wireless router in one side of the house for 2 reasons, 1 I am way more likely to use wireless on that side of the house and 2, there isn't a central location that isn't a complete hassle to run both power and CAT cable to.

So, what I ended up doing is keeping the router in my bedroom, running CAT6 into the basement and to the other side of the house where my office is, and ran cable to my desktops through wall mounts with several gigabit switches in between. Everything is up and running, I get full gigabit everywhere on my first floor wired in.

The problem is, from my office, laptops and larger devices can still connect to WiFi no problems... even my iPhone can USUALLY hold a signal... but sometimes it will not and it starts using data. I like being on the network when I'm in my home no matter where I am, so I'm thinking I should buy a 2nd wireless access point to cover the other side of the house.

All that said, I've never bought one and I am not 100% sure what to buy. I think I have an old router I can reconfigure but nothing that is higher than G speeds. The other option is to buy a more powerful router, or put in the effort of more centrally mounting my router.

My router is a TP-Link Archer C7 if that helps.

So which do you think is the best solution? Centralizing my router (while a major hassle, I do plan on living here for a very long time) or buying a 2nd access point? If a 2nd access point, can you recommend one?

Thanks again for any help!

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
... there isn't a central location that isn't a complete hassle to run both power and CAT cable to.
There is the POE (Power Over Ethernet) tech. A PSU (some switches/routers too) injects power into CAT cable and a device runs with that power. With that you only need to run the CAT to the location.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Just buy a Ubiquti AC Lite. Attach it to one of the ethernet drops in your office and be done with it. Cheap and will solve you wireless issue.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
There is the POE (Power Over Ethernet) tech. A PSU (some switches/routers too) injects power into CAT cable and a device runs with that power. With that you only need to run the CAT to the location.

Interesting, didn't know you could power something like a router that way, thought only smaller devices. Thanks for the info.

Just buy a Ubiquti AC Lite. Attach it to one of the ethernet drops in your office and be done with it. Cheap and will solve you wireless issue.

This is what I was leaning towards, and that's actually the device that came up when I was googling around. This will probably be the way I go. I guess if it doesn't work all that well, THEN I could put in the hassle of relocating... Thanks!