Question Recommend me a low to mid level graphics card for "light" gaming (new or used)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
I am doing older games like Battletech with Roguetech upgrade(ie memory hog), Shadowrun Returns, and Warhammer 2. I have ZERO interest in FPS games or multiplayer type games. First half of it is kind of a lie since I've broken into Mechwarrior 5:innocent:

My system is a bit on the lower end: I am using an Intel 12100F with 32GB ram. My graphics card is a used to me Asus 1050ti.

I'm kind of brand agnostic for chips but I can't recall that I've ever gone AMD. Same thing with graphics card assembler but I've mostly done ASUS.

So what should I be looking for in the new or used market? I'm considering a budget of ~$250... I might stretch it to $300.

Reactions: Leeea
Aug 16, 2021
I think the argument here about mining cards is a bit OT. We should probably get back to helping recommend cards for the OP.

I would recommend a used RX 5700XT in that range. Or a New RX 6600 (XT) or 6650XT series card on sale. I am considering selling one of my 5700XT cards myself. Check out the AT FS/T section.
Wasn't OP suggesting buying used mining card? It's hardly off-topic if he understands the risks better.

Reactions: Leeea
Aug 16, 2021
I think your typical hobby miner was like that. People like you.

But, most mining cards were part of businesses. We all saw the warehouses, and there just was not enough labor on hand to just clean the dust off. Those folks are going to just work like every other business, max profit this quarter, we will worry about next quarter next quarter.

Yea, there are exceptions, but we call them exceptions for a reason.

They also are not going to reflash the bios before reselling now. Just spray them down so they look nice and sell them off.

And sadly, that is the vast majority of cards on the used market right now. Corperations shedding inventory.
Not only this, but who stops miner from abusing card and later claiming that it was kept well cooled and undervolted? Or better yet claiming that it's pulled from working PC and then unload failed card as unknown condition card? Absolutely nothing. Buying used PC hardware is similar to buying used car (And 4090 already costs as much as used card, not to mention used workstation HW, that is only one or two gens behind). If you aren't vigilant enough, you will end up with crappy salesmen and many lemons. Hell, even used gaming card sellers can be and are quite dodgy, especially on eBay. So being as defensive and vigilant is the best thing you can do when looking as used hardware. Considering that OP isn't experienced in that, I would highly suggest something new or no upgrade at all.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008