Recommend me a free drive image software

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I have been using SSD for a while now and havent backed it up or imaged it yet. As they have a higher rate of failure I wanted to back it up and was loooking for a good free software.

Here's what I would like it to do.
Take and image of the drive (ofcourse) but the restoration should be something like - I boot from its CD (or a CD created by it) point it to the (new/fixed) SSD, point it to the image file stored on another HDD on the same comp and that's it.
One thing though, my primary hdd is partitioned, although I would prefer to keep it that way when its restored, but I do have a question about how these image restoration work. When I restore, will it make the exact same partitions or it doesn't matter. Can I image the 40GB OS partition only and then reformat the SSD and restore it on a new 60 GB partition?

I do not require incremental backup or scheduling ability or any of the other good stuff, need a clean simple and robust program. Please recommend.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Windows 7 has this as a free feature.

I saw that but how do I use it to restore from outside windows 7? I did not see any such option in the installation DVD... Here's what I would like to do
restoration should be something like - I boot from its CD (or a CD created by it) point it to the (new/fixed) SSD, point it to the image file stored on another HDD on the same comp and that's it.

May 13, 2009
Make an system image then it gives the option to make a boot disc to restore outside windows. Works fantastic.

thewhat

May 9, 2010
Macrium Reflect Free.

The Windows built in system backup is not good.

If you have a Western Digital or Seagate HDD(I'm not sure if they check for a drive before working, so you might not even need one)
They do check, it won't work with other drives.

Last edited:

BTA

Jun 7, 2005
Clonezilla has worked great for me every time. Boot from a CD or usb stick.

If you're feeling froggy and have another pc or server of sorts, you can have it make an image to a network share and restore from that instead of dedicating a spare hard drive.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Off top of my head:
1. It can do some nasty stuff.
2. It's slower than freeware alternatives.
3. The resulting files are bigger than those made by freeware alternatives.

if I am restoring back to the same machine thats not a big deal

who the hell even partions HDD's anymore? is it 1997 and no one told me? :p

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I am not sure how to use Windows 7 backup utility... when you open Backup and Restore you get two options "Create a system Image" - It wants to take image of ALL drives and wants to put it somewhere. There is no way to choose only my OS drive.

Second option is to "Create a System repair disk" I tried that and it created a disk with some 200 MB of data, definitely not an "image" of by OS dive which has close to 14GB of data. Again it did not give me any customization option.

So is it OP fail or windows fail?

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
My 1TB drive is partitioned into two drive letters. I started out in the late 80s with a 40MB HD, so working with a single drive that large is just too much for my feeble brain ;)

BTW, I use Acronis True Image Home, which offers an excellent array of options and works really well.

Last edited:

thewhat

May 9, 2010
if I am restoring back to the same machine thats not a big deal

who the hell even partions HDD's anymore? is it 1997 and no one told me? :p
Well, I just can't trust a piece of software that fails at something so basic. To me that's a clear indication that Microsoft didn't put much thought into it. They might get it right by the time of Windows 9.
For now, I'll trust companies that specialize at these tasks and update their specific programs regularly.

And why would you _not_ use a reasonably sized partition for the system? Do you also put movies, music etc. on your C: partition? Have fun backing that up.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I use acronis. But I also use windows 7 backup. The problem I have with win 7 backup is that I cant exclude certain folders. Let's say I have a 64 GB OS drive, and I'd like to backup everything except a 25GB folder that I can restore much easier using other means. If win7 backup would let me do exclude that one folder, then I could fit my backup onto one thumb drive, greatly simplifying the process.

Another problem I have with win7 backup is that it doesnt use the system CD to help you skip backing up files that are already on the installation disc. I can understand there being different versions, but it doesnt even check. If it did then my backups would be much smaller.

Acronis isnt perfect though.... There have been times where it simply will not run. Win7 restore is more reliable. But you have to remember that you cannot restore onto a smaller drive than your original partition. Thus I keep my OS partition small so if I need to do a restore, I can, even if its just onto an old 80 GB HDD I got laying around.

Last edited:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Well, I just can't trust a piece of software that fails at something so basic. To me that's a clear indication that Microsoft didn't put much thought into it. They might get it right by the time of Windows 9.
For now, I'll trust companies that specialize at these tasks and update their specific programs regularly.

And why would you _not_ use a reasonably sized partition for the system? Do you also put movies, music etc. on your C: partition? Have fun backing that up.

I have a server for that shit. I backup my critical OS stuff and steam. the rest is mostly covered by ninite....

easy to install some software, as long my docs are safe I will not be that upset

:D I have 64 GB SSD, I use 35 GB for OS and rest for SRT

that sort of makes sense....I have a 96 gb SSD on P67 so some progs are installed on it

Last edited: