Recommend me a $100-$150 wine

faenix

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2003
A red wine would be best. Thanks guys!

Edit: He's very much into wines, he just spent a month traveling around europe to different vineyards and blew thousands on local wines.

That's why I want to spend around $150, he has other wines way over this range but as a show of appreciation for things he has done for me.

Aug 25, 2004
It may be slightly below your price range, but look for a 2003 or 2004 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

If you're not a 100% set on wine, how about a bottle of Macallan instead?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
They better be a big wine connoisseur, otherwise, it is a total waste of money.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: edro

Very true. If your friend cant tell the difference between a $150 bottle vs a $15 bottle just save yourself some money and get him something in the middle.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaspian

Very true. If your friend cant tell the difference between a $150 bottle vs a $15 bottle just save yourself some money and get him something in the middle.

QFT, not even in the middle i'd say 30-40 dollar range

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Like others said, are they really into wine? If not, maybe 3 $40 bottles? Maybe a theme, like all Spanish wines, or all wines that go good with a good they like. I don't know...

Go to a nice wine store and ask. The people there know more than most people on ATOT.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Vintage Port

In addition to the value of the wine, you can also add to the experience by explaining decanting and the ettiquette of drinking it.

edit: and if you want a wine over a port, Don Vito nailed the gift already.

one other point to consider: 2 bottles of wine is often more appropriate as one bottle rarely is enough for a dinner unless it is just 2 people.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
That stuff in a cardboard box is pretty tasty.

Screw that. The grape juice that's been sitting in my fridge for 6 months is RIPE!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
ATOT needs lessons on the difference between direct and indirect objects.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have nothing to add since everyone else pretty much answered it, but it would have helped us if you told us a little more about your friend's wine experience.

Originally posted by: ElFenix
ATOT needs lessons on the difference between direct and indirect objects.

I always thought that as well. It's a huge pet peave with me for some reason. Everytime I see threads like that I wince a little.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
chateau mouton rothschild
bordeaux

I'm sure I butchered the spelling

Nah, you got it.

That's actually a good suggestion. The bottles themselves often end up being something of a collector's item depending on who does the label.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: spidey07
chateau mouton rothschild
bordeaux

I'm sure I butchered the spelling

Nah, you got it.

That's actually a good suggestion. The bottles themselves often end up being something of a collector's item depending on who does the label.

The quality does depend on the year (I guess from really good to best evar). But it's my favorite wine. The labels are pretty cool and I save the bottles.

Costco was carrying some. I did a double take on that one.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Kaspian

:beer: 15 Cases of Milwaukee's Best :thumbsup: