Recommend low-light/concert digicam

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Hey guys - I haveta get a new digital camera and I want one that can take great, crisp pictures of indoor, low-light concerts.

What brand/models should I be lookin' at? I'd much like to keep it pocketable, but will go for a smaller DSLR if need be.

Currently I have a Canon PowerShot A590IS; and I just can't get it to shoot non-blurry or properly luminated concert shots. Perhaps I'm just not setting my camera controls very intelligently? I've been using digital cameras for the past 10 years and like to think that I've got a good grip using them!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
You'll need to get a DSLR with a very low aperture. Lower the better. f2.0 or less will be your best chance of getting good pics. I don't know if any point and shoot cameras with lenses with such low apertures.

And to get the best concert pics, you'll likely need to put the camera into full manual mode. Fix the shutter speed at something reasonably fast (faster than 1/100th), fix the aperture at f1.8 - f2.2, and you might even need to focus manually since many lenses have trouble focusing in low light.

EDIT: I forgot that you'll need high ISO too. I've shot some concert pics with my Canon XSi and the 50 mm f1.8 at ISO800.

Last edited:

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Hey guys - I haveta get a new digital camera and I want one that can take great, crisp pictures of indoor, low-light concerts.

What brand/models should I be lookin' at? I'd much like to keep it pocketable, but will go for a smaller DSLR if need be.

Currently I have a Canon PowerShot A590IS; and I just can't get it to shoot non-blurry or properly luminated concert shots. Perhaps I'm just not setting my camera controls very intelligently? I've been using digital cameras for the past 10 years and like to think that I've got a good grip using them!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

Indoor concerts are very tough on gear. You often need to use ISO 3200 even if you have fast-aperture lenses, so many DSLRs will be working at close to their limits.

The kit I would recommend for indoor concert photography is a Canon Rebel T2i with 50mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2 lenses. That will run you about $1500. The T2i has very good high-ISO performance, so ISO 3200 and even 6400 are quite usable.

I would avoid the entry level Nikons (D40, D60, D3000, D5000) for low-light indoor concert photography, since you need to use fast lenses in the 85-135mm range. The Nikkor 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2, and 135mm f/2 all lose AF with these entry level cameras, so if you're going Nikon look at the D90 or above.

Of course, if money is no object, JPeyton's advice is good. D3s + holy trinity of 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8 would be epic :)

Last edited:

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Great, thanks for some food to chew on with the DSLR realm.

Entertain me for a moment. Just curious what you guys think would be the best point-and-shoot pocket cameras for low-light/concert with the aforementioned aperture/iso that is good enough?

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Great, thanks for some food to chew on with the DSLR realm.

Entertain me for a moment. Just curious what you guys think would be the best point-and-shoot pocket cameras for low-light/concert with the aforementioned aperture/iso that is good enough?

If you're shooting concerts that are not well-lit (as most concerts are), no point and shoot camera is going to do the job.

The two best point and shoots for shooting concerts would be the Panasonic LX3 or Canon S90. Both produce decent results at ISO 800 and usable results at ISO 1600. Both also have fast lenses that start at f/2.0 (although both get slower as you zoom in).

You can try to shoot a concert with these, but it probably won't be pretty.

The next step up would be a Micro 4/3 camera like the Panasonic GF1 combined with something like that 20 mm f/1.7 (which is effectively 40mm). More pocketable than a DSLR, but not quite as good at high ISO. Much better than either the LX3 or S90 though.

Still, I recommend that you just get the best DSLR and the fastest lens you can afford for low-light concert photography.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
If you're shooting concerts that are not well-lit (as most concerts are), no point and shoot camera is going to do the job.

The two best point and shoots for shooting concerts would be the Panasonic LX3 or Canon S90. Both produce decent results at ISO 800 and usable results at ISO 1600. Both also have fast lenses that start at f/2.0 (although both get slower as you zoom in).

You can try to shoot a concert with these, but it probably won't be pretty.

The next step up would be a Micro 4/3 camera like the Panasonic GF1 combined with something like that 20 mm f/1.7 (which is effectively 40mm). More pocketable than a DSLR, but not quite as good at high ISO. Much better than either the LX3 or S90 though.

Still, I recommend that you just get the best DSLR and the fastest lens you can afford for low-light concert photography.

I think the LX3 and S90 do well enough.

If you want to go a little bigger, the GF-1 is good too.

Yea, I love this class of cameras because they take such great shots and you don't have to deal DSLR bulk.

For most situations, my favorite is the S90. With good light, it meets the GF-1 in image quality. It's the most compact and ease of use as well.

Last edited:

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
I think the LX3 and S90 do well enough.

If you want to go a little bigger, the GF-1 is good too.

Yea, I love this class of cameras because they take such great shots and you don't have to deal DSLR bulk.

For most situations, my favorite is the S90. With good light, it meets the GF-1 in image quality. It's the most compact and ease of use as well.

Most concerts require ISO 1600 and 3200 to get decent shutter speeds. LX3 and S90 will be struggling heavily at those ISOs. GF1 will also have pretty poor image quality at those ISOs. If he's talking about well-lit concerts where only ISO 800 is required, then sure, the point and shoot cameras would do ok. But for most concerts where the only lighting is a few colored lights on the stage, high ISO and fast aperture are necessities.

OP, go check out this flickr group and look at the camera data for the shots there. Most of those were taken at ISO 1600 or above with fast lenses.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/concertshots/pool/page2/

Last edited:

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Most concerts require ISO 1600 and 3200 to get decent shutter speeds. LX3 and S90 will be struggling heavily at those ISOs. GF1 will also have pretty poor image quality at those ISOs. If he's talking about well-lit concerts where only ISO 800 is required, then sure, the point and shoot cameras would do ok. But for most concerts where the only lighting is a few colored lights on the stage, high ISO and fast aperture are necessities.

Concert pics aren't usually frame-worthy, so ISO1600 will look perfectly fine when shared or small prints :) Maybe ISO3200 is stretching it.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Great information, guys! I'm not necessarily looking for frame-worthy concert shots; just something that takes decent pictures for memories and to share a shot or two with friends/family. Like I say, not sure if my Canon A590IS is bad altogether for this kinda shot or if I'm doing something wrong or whatnot; but looking for alternatives.

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
no one asked what sort of shows/venues you want to photograph. you'll have different needs at a Taylor Swift show in a 12,000 seat arena than you would at a Dillinger Escape Plan show in a 300 person club. a mFT or DSLR is probably a must if you're 200 feet away in a decent-sized arena. at a smaller, rowdier club you'd probably appreciate the smaller size (and monetary investment) of an S90 or LX3 and wouldn't care too much that the zoom is limited.

here's some pics i took with an S90 at a metal show in a ~500 person club.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
You guys are all recommending DSLR's but 99% of the time they will stop him at the door as soon as they see the lens.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Thanks Ns1, for the point about being stopped with a DSLR. Wouldn't be good to have spent $800 and not even be able to use it! And thanks BigSmooth for that informative article!

It would be for concerts and I'd like to have a camera for a concert (one that theoretically is well-lit as far as staging goes, such as the Black Eyed Peas craziness) that can recharge relatively quickly after taking a shot (it's always great to not only get a side shot as someone walks down the concert runway but also to be able to get a booty shot (!) at just the right moment thereafter).

That's the kind of camera I'm lookin' for! The current Canon PowerShot A590 is pretty slow, shot-to-shot.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Thanks Ns1, for the point about being stopped with a DSLR. Wouldn't be good to have spent $800 and not even be able to use it! And thanks BigSmooth for that informative article!

It would be for concerts and I'd like to have a camera for a concert (one that theoretically is well-lit as far as staging goes, such as the Black Eyed Peas craziness) that can recharge relatively quickly after taking a shot (it's always great to not only get a side shot as someone walks down the concert runway but also to be able to get a booty shot (!) at just the right moment thereafter).

That's the kind of camera I'm lookin' for! The current Canon PowerShot A590 is pretty slow, shot-to-shot.

I would just like to add that in the tutorial, every one of those pictures was taken with a Nikon D700 and a 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens. Not exactly inexpensive (or portable) equipment by any means.

If you are looking for a more portable camera, definitely look at the Panasonic GF1. That is about the best you can do unless you get a full-fledged SLR. Pair it with the 20mm f/1.7 lens to get full-stage pictures, or a longer lens (in the 100-150mm range) for portraits of individual performers.

Here's a picture I shot at a concert last week for the school newsletter.

Info: Nikon D300 with 85mm f/1.4, ISO 1600, f/2.0, 1/200 sec.

4559514590_d227e7e5fa_b.jpg

Last edited: