Recommend any good Asp.net book for a beginner?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
if i had to choose between c# with asp.net or vb... i'd rather have C#...

so any recommendations for someone who is new to the .net stuff? i dont want a rushed book like "teach urself asp.net in 21 days" or "dummy's guide to asp.net."

I'm looking for something that's comprehensive, but doesn't start off too quick.

thanks all.

macwinlin

Apr 11, 2002
Try looking at Beginning ASP.NET 1.1 with Visual C# from Wrox Press. I have an older version which covered ASP.NET 1.0.

Many of the chapters may be review since they introduce some concepts of object-oriented programming such as inheritance. There is also a brief introduction to C# as well. But it is a good start especially for those without prior experience to ASP/ASP.NET or any server-side programming. It may not be the best book, but along with using the .NET documentation and other web resources, it will definitely help you get started. Not to mention actually practicing programming.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
The MS press books on .NET are pretty good this time around. The black ASP book with a tuning fork on the front is a real good book explainging the .NET concepts and ASP.NET. I believe there is also a '101 ASP.NET Applications" book as well that has good examples.

brentman

Dec 4, 2002
I have a book by SAMS called ASP.NET Unleashed (written by Stephen Walther). It is excellent. The book covers all the code in VB but has all the samples on a CD in C#. I chose this book based on many reviews it got. I am learning a lot because of it. Definitely recommend it.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: brentman
I have a book by SAMS called ASP.NET Unleashed (written by Stephen Walther). It is excellent. The book covers all the code in VB but has all the samples on a CD in C#. I chose this book based on many reviews it got. I am learning a lot because of it. Definitely recommend it.
This is a great beginner book. I also recommend it even if it does have VB samples in the book instead of C#. The examples are well written and useful. I still use this book regularly for quick reference.

techfuzz

ragiepew

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd second the "Anything Wrox" statement, and perticularly (sp?) the "Beginning ASP.NET with C#" book. Also, the MS books are pretty good, especially their new line of professional books, although I'm not sure they have anything specifically on C# in their new pro books.

Anyway, cant go wrong w/ Wrox...

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ragiepew
I'd second the "Anything Wrox" statement, and perticularly (sp?) the "Beginning ASP.NET with C#" book. Also, the MS books are pretty good, especially their new line of professional books, although I'm not sure they have anything specifically on C# in their new pro books.

Anyway, cant go wrong w/ Wrox...

thanks i got beginning asp.net from wrox... thanks all.