Recommend an Email Client

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Carbo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Carbo

Carbo Diamond Member

Running Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 7. I run a number of email accounts through WLM. One Comcast, one Gmail, and several domain based email accounts. Not too pleased with WLM. I'm wondering what programs some of the gurus who hang out here might want to share? Thank you.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Recommend Email Client Forum Date
    Other than Exchange server, what other email server would you recommend? Software for Windows Jan 28, 2015
    Email Backup: Recommendations? Software for Windows Jul 31, 2012
    Recommend on how to make Outlook emails migration-proof Software for Windows May 9, 2012
    Please recommend email client alternative that can import Nescape 4.79 emails?! Software for Windows May 17, 2005
    Can somebody recommend a _small_ email client than can run as an .exe? (No installation!) Software for Windows Mar 16, 2004

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Thunderbird. Been using it for years.

4. country2

country2 Senior member

Didn't Mozilla stop the development of Thunderbird recently?

5. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Sort of. They're calling it feature complete, and only doing security fixes. That's a reasonable approach imo. There isn't much you can add to it. It receives mail and sends mail, there's little it's lacking.

6. CSMR

CSMR Golden Member

In general you need to specify how you want to use email and what other services you need. Thunderbird generally doesn't cut it in today's world because it only offers email and not integrated contacts, calendaring, tasks, etc.. But if that is all you need it may be fine for you.

Using gmail with email clients (rather than through web interface) may be problematic because of feature incompatibilities. For example gmail does not support folders and subfolders, so what happens if you create a subfolder in a client?

7. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Gmail supports folders/sub-folders. For calendaring there's the Lightning extension for Tbird. Dunno about integrated contacts. That isn't something I use.

8. smakme7757

smakme7757 Golden Member

Thunderbird is a great piece of software. I use Outlook 2010 now seeing as i got it through work, but prior to that Thunderbird was my client of choice.

Also Gmail is a good choice if you don't mind everything else that comes along with using gmail.

I've also heard good things about outlook.com as a netbased email client.

#7 smakme7757, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  9. Carbo

Carbo Diamond Member

I like outlook.com. The little I've used it has always left me with a favorable impression. I'd be happy to use it full time if it supported IMAP, which it doesn't at this time.

10. dighn

dighn Lifer

Thunderbird is excellent. It still seems to be getting non-security updates (like GUI facelifts)

11. bateman 212

bateman 212 Junior Member

Windows Live Mail is much better than Thunderbird imo. Very clean, threaded, and no bugs! :eek: It even has a good RSS feed, if you do that thing.

12. ringtail

ringtail Senior member

Thunderbird, with Lightning extension

13. IamDavid

IamDavid Diamond Member

Outlook.
    Or does it need to be free?

14. CA19100

CA19100 Senior member

Tried everything under the sun for Windows, including Thunderbird, and nothing really felt right.

Then I tried Postbox. It was exactly what I was looking for, and it plays properly with Gmail as well. It even integrates with DropBox, allowing me to seamlessly link large files instead of attaching them. Definitely worth checking out: http://www.postbox-inc.com/

Outlook is also excellent, but not cheap.

15. RossMAN

RossMAN Grand Nagus

Thanks for the recommendation, so far looks promising.

16. Iron Woode

Iron Woode Lifer

I use Postbox Express. That is the free client. It works great and it set up my gmail account automatically.

17. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

BatMail may be a good fit for you, not so for me. I get my messages with T'bird Portable.

18. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

love Thunderbird myself w/ Lightning calendar addon.

19. skriefal

skriefal Golden Member

I've used Thunderbird for many years, but do not like the recent UI changes. The title bar changes make it behave differently from almost every other Windows application -- no more double-click at left of title bar to close app, for example. And moving tabs and some other command buttons into the title bar might initially seem "cool", but it really isn't. Usability and consistency is more important than "cool", especially in an email application.