Recommend a hot-swap removable hard drive tray?

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
I'd avoid putting daily wear and tear directly on the SATA interface.

Instead, consider using a portable eSATA or USB drive, or any kind of enclosure that you can put the drive into "permanently" that allows you to connect or dock the drive without actually using the drive's native interface.

Reactions: mikeford

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
yap, took me to "StarTech.com 5.25-Inch Rugged SATA Hard Drive Mobile Rack Drawer", will it fit on any desktop? if it does, that's really kool!!

also, buy it from amazon, save tax! :biggrin:

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
yap, took me to "StarTech.com 5.25-Inch Rugged SATA Hard Drive Mobile Rack Drawer", will it fit on any desktop? if it does, that's really kool!!

I posted, but then deleted that link, when I saw that this drawer uses the drive's native interface as I mentioned above. :(

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
In order to use mobile trays, the host machine must have the rack installed. Then you can move the tray from rack to rack. The trays are not "stand alone." The new Vantec EZ Swap 4 is a trayless SATA rach. No tray needed - just shove in the bare drive.

EZSwap4b.jpg

EZSwap4a.jpg

To use more drives, you don't need to buy trays.

The LCD display is great - and fan speed is easily controlled.

EZSwap4c.jpg

Last edited:

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
No tray needed - just shove in the bare drive.

Right.

But these devices are meant to be used in a server environment, where the drive is NOT going to be swapped out frequently.

If the OP wants to swap the drive on a daily basis, this is a bad way to go. The onboard SATA connector on the drive's circuit board is not intended to handle lots of plugging & unplugging. If that connector is damaged, the hard drive's entire circuit board must be replaced.

For daily hot swapping, you will want to get a USB/eSATA drive that is intended for portable use. Or, get a tray/caddy system that does NOT use the hard drive's onboard connector as the docking contact between the caddy and the hard drive...

consolibyte

Nov 3, 2009
In order to use mobile trays, the host machine must have the rack installed. Then you can move the tray from rack to rack. The trays are not "stand alone." The new Vantec EZ Swap 4 is a trayless SATA rach. No tray needed - just shove in the bare drive.

EZSwap4b.jpg

EZSwap4a.jpg

To use more drives, you don't need to buy trays.

The LCD display is great - and fan speed is easily controlled.

EZSwap4c.jpg

Right, this ^^^ is a great example of what I *do not* want. I *want* a tray design, as the drives will get swapped regularly, and carried around (brought home with people for off-site backups).

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The only thing with these is the reviews are sometimes pretty sketchy- lots of people with problems or broken ones.

Yeah the reasonable priced are made of plastic and if One is a "clumsy and the do not care" type of Guy they can be broken.

However, AFAIC if One does not suffer from Parkinson, then in a way it is probably more a personal attention/control issue rather than technology related.

I always install Mobil tray on each desktop (sometimes two for copy processes).

In most of them I use the type that Corkyg mentioned.

However, when using drives that are carried around between locations, the type that I linked to is more reasonable cause the whole tray can be taken on the road and provide protection to the HD.

:cool:

P.S. Knowing how to read the review on NewEgg is an Art by itself. In many cases it is an indication of the the personality of the user rather than than the value of the hardware.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
In order to use the tray, the host computer has to have a rack installed to receive it. You would therefore need a rack at home and a rack at work, and move to and fro via the tray.

With all of that, an external eSATA or USB 3 would make more sense.

consolibyte

Nov 3, 2009
In order to use the tray, the host computer has to have a rack installed to receive it. You would therefore need a rack at home and a rack at work, and move to and fro via the tray.

With all of that, an external eSATA or USB 3 would make more sense.

I don't want to use it at home. I just want to carry it home as an off-site backup.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
P.S. Knowing how to read the review on NewEgg is an Art by itself. In many cases it is an indication of the the personality of the user rather than than the value of the hardware.

:D Glad to hear I'm not the only person who psycho-analyzes Newegg reviewers.

mikedaniels

Jan 2, 2021
As hot-swap trays provide users with a rack or an enclosure for devices. It provides them with an appearance to show that the input/output controller remains there, despite the components being removed or replaced with another one.
You can get drive trays or hard drive caddy that support SAS, SATA, SCSI, and other hard drives. They can range between heights of 5 mm to 15 mm. Users can maximize the performance of their hard drives using single-, double-, or quad-bay backplanes.
I am having a look at IBM2.5inch SAS Long Hard Drive Tray For DS800, any ideas if anyone has used it before, imo it could be fine as its an IBM product. Anymore options for hard drive caddy and hdd sled, let me know, it might help in future.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Hot swap is meant for rarely used, routinely pulling a drive is asking for connector trouble.