Recommend a good set of power tools (18+ volt)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Milwaukee aren't the best anymore IMO. We stopped buying them at work. They were bought out and haven't been the same since. We now use DeWalt. They are also quite expensive for what the average homeowner needs.

If you're going to buy Dewalt, might as well just buy Black & Decker.

please, just because the companies are related doesn't mean they are the same. Do you tell someone buying a Benz to buy a Dodge instead? :roll:

DeWalt. Ick.
Its like the Bose of tools. Those who dont know buy Dewalt. Those who work and want good tools....Dont.

Mind telling us poor schleps why DeWalt sucks? Or do you want to keep us guessing?

Some of there tools have less then ideals bearings and bushings, which in addition to not holding up under alot of stress for long periods of time are also a pain in the ass to change out.
So much so my FIL, whos been a welder since before I was walking and is one of the best in the area, stopped using DeWalt.

so what does he use? I guess a company like ours (in business since 1914) has no idea what quality tools are.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Dewalt is topline stuff. But for the reasonable shopper you can't go wrong with Craftsman.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
B&D holeshooter if you remember them. Long before cordless but works all the time. :)

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: classy
Dewalt is topline stuff. But for the reasonable shopper you can't go wrong with Craftsman.

No, Dewalt in upper-middle class. Hilti would be top-end.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Milwaukee aren't the best anymore IMO. We stopped buying them at work. They were bought out and haven't been the same since. We now use DeWalt. They are also quite expensive for what the average homeowner needs.

please, just because the companies are related doesn't mean they are the same. Do you tell someone buying a Benz to buy a Dodge instead? :roll:

DeWalt. Ick.
Its like the Bose of tools. Those who dont know buy Dewalt. Those who work and want good tools....Dont.

every contractor i have ever dealt with has used dewalt or milwaukee.
these guys use these tools all day everyday.

Maybe they stick with dewalt because they've already invested in 10+ extra batteries? I doubt it though.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
80% of our commercial work tools are Dewalt, best value for the money. It used to be Milwaukee then they sold and their cordless tools went to hell.

Craftsman are ok but the batteries do not last as long, especially with inactivity.

BD went downhill about 10 years ago and now market to the homeowner...for a reason.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

DeWalt. Ick.

Mind telling us poor schleps why DeWalt sucks? Or do you want to keep us guessing?

Some of there tools have less then ideals bearings and bushings, which in addition to not holding up under alot of stress for long periods of time are also a pain in the ass to change out.
So much so my FIL, whos been a welder since before I was walking and is one of the best in the area, stopped using DeWalt.

so what does he use? I guess a company like ours (in business since 1914) has no idea what quality tools are.

Do your welders use DeWalt grinders?

Nov 5, 2001

DeWalt. Ick.

Do your welders use DeWalt grinders?

no, we do mostly stick with Milwaukee for grinders, though we do have a few Dewalts. We have found the Milwaukee drivers and drills have gone downhill severely in quality though over the last 2 years.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
no, we do mostly stick with Milwaukee for grinders, though we do have a few Dewalts. We have found the Milwaukee drivers and drills have gone downhill severely in quality though over the last 2 years.

You know, I've heard that from a number of people. My Mil driver is......Hell...6 years old? Runs like a top. I havent used any of the newer stuff so my opinion may no longer be valid for Milwaukee, because it seems more and more people are not happy with the newer stuff.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I got my Dad a Craftsman cordless 18v drill a few years ago and he's said a number of times how much he likes it and how it wouldn't have thought it would have been as good as it is.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Dewalt 36v impact driver if your dad needs to drill through titanium

Those 36V tools run on Lithium instead of Nickel - now let's hope they don't explode! :Q

Those tools must have LOTS of power. I used a 24V hammer drill and it was a beast. Speaking of hammer drills, Hilti has been using 36V for a very long time.