Recommend a game for me

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
I'd like to find a new game or two to fiddle with in the near future. My favorite games of the past have been Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, Descent III, Mech Warrior 4 or something, Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, and Starcraft. I never got into anything like Halflife or CS, though. Oh, and Xcom was amazing too. ;)

Any thoughts - newish games, anyway?

Thanks!

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: AVP
Try company of heroes at all?

Seconded.

You'd also probably enjoy System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (the original) judging by the games you posted. They're old, but still awesome.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
If you like having your strategy and tactics separate like X-com, try the Total War series where you have both the turn based city building, and the real time tactical battles when your armies meet. Both Rome Total War and Medieval 2 Total War might interest you.

TehBluebear

Dec 5, 2007
Just been playing Medieval 2: Total War, and I have to say, for someone who isn't really into RTS games, I'm really, really enjoying it.

Now to go crush the French dog underfoot. They have encroached 'pon our lands more than too many times... TO ARMS!

And to the poster who mentioned Oblivion; I have Oblivion, but always found it to be lacking. In Morrowind, the game seemed to be drenched in lore, but for OB, I found that aspect lacking. It seemed to not be as deep as MW. However, that does not mean that it doesn't have standout moments. For example, the Dark Brotherhood questline, and the Shivering Isles expansion.

To the OP: It seems that you don't have a particular liking toward FPS games. however, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a really, really good game. If you can, give it a try. When you're standing on a grassy hill in the middle of near wastland and delapidated buildings around you, rain coming down, and mutant dogs barking off in the distance, you're struck with an overwhelming sense of loneliness. But do you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. The atmosphere is what makes the game.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
I have played Oblivion quite a bit and also found it not living up to Morrowind, though it was still fun. I think it was the way you don't need to go anywhere special to get good stuff - you just have to wait and level up and everything gets better at the same time. It sucks. Other than that (and the cheating traveling stuff) it was fun. ;)

I think it's the plot that really gets it for me. I like games to have a good story that you have to uncover as you go. Geneforge - now THAT was another awesome game with a sweet plot, heh.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: bobsmith1492
I have played Oblivion quite a bit and also found it not living up to Morrowind, though it was still fun. I think it was the way you don't need to go anywhere special to get good stuff - you just have to wait and level up and everything gets better at the same time. It sucks. Other than that (and the cheating traveling stuff) it was fun. ;)

I think it's the plot that really gets it for me. I like games to have a good story that you have to uncover as you go.
Geneforge - now THAT was another awesome game with a sweet plot, heh.

That is the definition of SS2 and DeusEx :D When I first played SS2, I remember playing an hour or so at night in a dark room. My gun was low on ammo and in bad condition. I was listening to an audio log, and then I heard the groaning-zombie sound that indicates a hybrid was just around the corner. I literally jumped in my chair and felt fear.

If that's not quality, I don't know what is. Immersion FTW!

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Some suggestions of the like:

Morrowind: Try Oblivion, and if you've played that (or the amazing expansion pack, Shivering Isles) maybe give Two Worlds a shot now that the patch is out. It's no where near Oblivion's amazing world, but it's still the same type of game and can be a lot of fun if you can look past some of the Naruto:Rise of The Ninja.

Dungeon Siege: Try Titan Quest! It's an excellent excellent game. The expansion is great as well.

TA and SC: Like the guys suggested above--pick up Company of Heroes--really awesome RTS.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Titan Quest or Hellgate London maybe? In terms of RTS, I would be patient and wait for SC2.

The game doesnt even have a release date. You want him to wait that long for a game that he wants to play today?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: warcrow
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Titan Quest or Hellgate London maybe? In terms of RTS, I would be patient and wait for SC2.

The game doesnt even have a release date. You want him to wait that long for a game that he wants to play today?

He can do whatever he wants. *shrug*

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TehBluebear
Just been playing Medieval 2: Total War, and I have to say, for someone who isn't really into RTS games, I'm really, really enjoying it.

Now to go crush the French dog underfoot. They have encroached 'pon our lands more than too many times... TO ARMS!

And to the poster who mentioned Oblivion; I have Oblivion, but always found it to be lacking. In Morrowind, the game seemed to be drenched in lore, but for OB, I found that aspect lacking. It seemed to not be as deep as MW. However, that does not mean that it doesn't have standout moments. For example, the Dark Brotherhood questline, and the Shivering Isles expansion.

To the OP: It seems that you don't have a particular liking toward FPS games. however, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is a really, really good game. If you can, give it a try. When you're standing on a grassy hill in the middle of near wastland and delapidated buildings around you, rain coming down, and mutant dogs barking off in the distance, you're struck with an overwhelming sense of loneliness. But do you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. The atmosphere is what makes the game.

i like RTS games but can't stand the Medieval or Total War (or whatever they ate called )games.