Recommend a < $300 CPU

RoamDog

Dec 28, 2004
OK. I am just about done gathering the parts to complete systems with all the older parts I have hanging around.
Now on to the real deal. I would like to build a new system with new parts.
I do NOT want the absolute budget-is-no-concern-top-of-the-line system, but I do want something that is the absolute top of the mid-range.
So, please recommend the best performing CPU that is around $300 (I do not mind submitting for a rebate somewhere to bring the cost in around $300).
What are my options? And which would you recommend and why?
(I'll also need a suggestion for a heat sink/fan set up).

Please also feel free to suggest a motherboard. Would again like to be at the top of the mid-range. Maybe in the $200 zone (could go a little higher if required).

And please also suggest memory. I would like to get 2X 2GB (for a total of 4GB). Do I go with DDR2 or DDR3? Is DDR3 too pricey for me at this point?

I already have hard drives, DVD, and power supply.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
At this price point, you are looking at Quads for your money, Q9450/Q9550s. If you don't need Quads then the newest E8600s are your thing E0 stepping hot off the press. As for moneyboard, best to spent the cash on a nice P45 or even a nice P35 will do. Hence DDR2s for them. Most benchmarks don't show any improvements going DDR3s yet you are paying an arm and leg over a comparable P35/P45s. Hence save your money there. But do get a nice set of DDR2s like the 2x2gb Gskill DDR1000+. Will be a good purchase for your system.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
i purchased a Q9450 for 300 bucks a few weeks ago, it's probably cheaper now
i'm very happy with the purchase

as far as motherboards go, mine (the one in the sig) is in the 65 dollar range these days i believe ... i'm happy with it

the general consensus still seems to be for ddr2 over ddr3
lotsa people like buying the latest gigabyte (DS3L/R series) or asus boards also ... i'm sure you can find something that costs 200+ if you really look, but 100 or less for a motherboard seems to get you pretty much top of the line these days

RoamDog

Dec 28, 2004
I definitely do NOT need to overbuy (esp on a motherboard). I have no need to have any status or any bragging rights. I do value warranty and reliability. So, I do not mind paying an extra dollar or two for solid quality. But again, I do not need to have the absolute top-of-the-line.

Sounds like DDR2 is the choice for me.

Originally posted by: Soulkeeper
i purchased a Q9450 for 300 bucks a few weeks ago, it's probably cheaper now
i'm very happy with the purchase

as far as motherboards go, mine (the one in the sig) is in the 65 dollar range these days i believe ... i'm happy with it

the general consensus still seems to be for ddr2 over ddr3
lotsa people like buying the latest gigabyte (DS3L/R series) or asus boards also ... i'm sure you can find something that costs 200+ if you really look, but 100 or less for a motherboard seems to get you pretty much top of the line these days

Vektor67

Aug 14, 2008
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but
I find it curious you recommended the E8500 when you yourself have an 8600 which are supposed to be the cats meow, the bee's knee's, the lol. I ask because I bought the q6600 and may send it back for the 8500/8600. Is there something about your 8600 that displeases you?

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
well for one thing the e8600 is $80 more for a .5x higher, so unless you dont plan on overclocking, you dont REALLY need it, since the penryns usually find their limit at about 4.3ghz anyway, and you can get that with an e8400 np

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Vektor67
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but
I find it curious you recommended the E8500 when you yourself have an 8600 which are supposed to be the cats meow, the bee's knee's, the lol. I ask because I bought the q6600 and may send it back for the 8500/8600. Is there something about your 8600 that displeases you?

Oh no not at all....but he doesnt seem like the enthusiast/overclocking type. If you arent going to OC at all, you arent really going to notice a difference between the E8500 and E8600. At least not enough to justify $90.

But for those of us that cant stay out of BIOS, the 10X multi on a Wolfdale is something else....

You kind of have to gear your rec's to your audience.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Q9450
Q6600 for around $180
or wait for the equivalent nehalem generation part which will be substantially better for around $300 introductory price if the Q9450 launch history is indicative of future prices.

RoamDog

Dec 28, 2004
Yeah, I have never done any real overclocking. I have been buying parts for various builds since about 2000 that are capable (and usually paying a little extra to get the ability to overclock) but just never get around to looking for a step-by-step guide to overclocking (is there an OverClocking for Dummies book?). :)
(And I am too chicken to try it without a very thorough guide.

Appreciate all the great advice. Don't really do much that would benefit from quadcore so I am going to go with the E8500 (was actually thinking about going with an E8400 as MicroCenter had it for $40 less and the e8500 didn't seem to offer much more than the e8400, but Microcenter unit was in store only--so for only a $20 difference, I went ahead with the e8500).

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Graysky has a great guide stickied to the top of this forum. But be warned...once you OC, you can never run stock again. Do you really want to put that needle in your vein?

tallman45

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
RoamDog
I definitely do NOT need to overbuy (esp on a motherboard).

Thats the only part one should overbuy, plan for the next 2,3 even 4 years. A cpu can be swapped easy, a MB not so easy, complete reinstall of OS required

If you even remotely suspect you may OC, get one of the middle of the line models that have NB/SB heatpipe cooling it will increase longevity in the long run

So many people end up with NB/SB cooling upgrades that it would have been cheaper to just buy a better MB to begin with

RoamDog

Dec 28, 2004
Can you recommend what some of the better bang-for-the-buck "middle of the line models" are??
I am not at all opposed to following your advice, but I need more info?

Originally posted by: tallman45
RoamDog
I definitely do NOT need to overbuy (esp on a motherboard).

Thats the only part one should overbuy, plan for the next 2,3 even 4 years. A cpu can be swapped easy, a MB not so easy, complete reinstall of OS required

If you even remotely suspect you may OC, get one of the middle of the line models that have NB/SB heatpipe cooling it will increase longevity in the long run

So many people end up with NB/SB cooling upgrades that it would have been cheaper to just buy a better MB to begin with

M1A

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
I would not say 4.3 on a 8400 is no problem. It takes some good stuff and some playing around to get it. I am 24/7 4.2 and think thats better than average with air.......
If you were talking H2O well thats also not in the std setups yet. But 4.0 and above is common for the E8xxx series

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: faxon
well for one thing the e8600 is $80 more for a .5x higher, so unless you dont plan on overclocking, you dont REALLY need it, since the penryns usually find their limit at about 4.3ghz anyway, and you can get that with an e8400 np

Umm....no. Not with safe temps/voltage on air.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: faxon

Umm....no. Not with safe temps/voltage on air.

Exactly. I can't get over 4.07 right now.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Graysky has a great guide stickied to the top of this forum. But be warned...once you OC, you can never run stock again. Do you really want to put that needle in your vein?

I guess I'm a recovering junkie...my main desktop rig was a vaporphase cooled 4GHz QX6700 which is now running stock (2.66GHz) on air cooling.

The noise reduction and power bill reduction was worth the tradeoff and I personally can't tell in my day-to-day stuff that my box is not running 4GHz.

(of course I do all my number crunching on my five other quads, all overclocked of course, so I didn't quit cold turkey so to speak)

AleleVanuatu

Aug 16, 2008
Idontcare, you speak about power savings when not overclocking. You sure? You measured this with a P4400? I bet you didn't. Lets see some numbers. OC'ing is goddamn worth it on Intel.

Also, buddy boy, noob to OC'ing, relax, its easy. Just open the bios, increaes the FSB by 10, and boom, you just clocked up your chip. That's the basics, right there, in a nutshell.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND OC!!!!!

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AleleVanuatu
Idontcare, you speak about power savings when not overclocking. You sure? You measured this with a P4400? I bet you didn't. Lets see some numbers. OC'ing is goddamn worth it on Intel.

Also, buddy boy, noob to OC'ing, relax, its easy. Just open the bios, increaes the FSB by 10, and boom, you just clocked up your chip. That's the basics, right there, in a nutshell.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND OC!!!!!

Dude you are clueless, if you'd been here for a while you'd know a thing a two about my posts. Yes I qualified my system power consumption with a Kill-a-watt as well as daily power loads for my house at the meter across a month's worth of data before and after. The data was posted a long time ago.

Your attitude is piss poor, you exude a lack of respect in all your posts and seem to enjoy infusing as much disdain as possible into every sentence.

Please leave me alone, I have no desire to interact with folks of your ilk.