Recommeded CPU Specs for Rosetta & WCG?

grimlock2003

Nov 29, 2003
Since my renewed interest in crunching coincides with a much overdo computer upgrade (I'm currently using the 2.4GHz P4 Dell 400SC that was a steal so many years ago.) I thought I would ask if there are any particular specs that would help run BOINC, namely Rosetta and WCG. It isn't really points I'm talking about, but if I can squeeze more efficiency out of a particular CPU I'd like to know.

At first I was thinking I would build/buy a system around the i5 750, but I noticed that the i7 860 has much higher Whetstone benchmark than the 750. I didn't know how that translates to crunching with BOINC. Either one would be fast enough for the other things I use my computer for, but since they are close in price I figured I'd ask before making a decision. Do characteristics like HT or cache have a big impact?

This would be my main computer and wouldn't run 24x7.

Thanks,

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
So I assume by efficiency you mean you want to maximize points-per-hour, not points-per-watt or points-per-dollar? Do you plan to overclock?

I'm not that familiar with these new i5/i7 chips, but I hear that HT helps noticeably (20-30%). I doubt cache would matter for either of those apps.

May I ask why you think you need the power of an i5/i7? Is it just for DC? I hear the AMD Phenom IIs are good chips, and much cheaper!

grimlock2003

Nov 29, 2003
I guess points per hour but saving power is never a bad thing either. I've been using intel chips so long I haven't really looked at the AMD offerings. 

Outside of running BOINC I'll do a fair amount of Photoshop and vmware work on this machine.

I have no plans to overclock. Right now I'm looking at building an i7 860, 4gb, 9800gt, win7 x64 machine for just under 1k. I'll check and see how AMD would price out. It looks like a phenom II 925 and mobo would be less than just an i7 860.  

Thanks

filibusterman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2005
I had that same server and that chip overclocks like a beast...the only problem is finding a 478 board to oc it with. They are likely expensive so not worth it. If you are by a fry's I would try a phenom or athlon II combo! Watch to see what ram the mobo takes though as you probably dont hav ddr2 or 3 anyhow I would go with the ddr3 board for future compatabliity.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
WCG is my main project, I have almost 22 years of runtime and as much as I love AMD cpus, I have to say that Intel is clearly the way to go for this project.

This spreadsheet might interest you, it shows phenom II's compared to i7's with their WCG Boinc RAC.
http://scootplace.net/DC/WCG/wcgcpu.htm

happy crunching

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
The i7 860 will do eight BOINC WUs at a time :)

Or just do 6-7 and that will leave one for vmware and photoshop.

If you don't plan on OCing much or at all - the i7 860 will save some power over the i7 920 - it probably would do a small 300-600 megahertz OC without increasing vcore!

grimlock2003

Nov 29, 2003
Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. Since I'm not really in a hurry to buy I'll wait a bit and see if I can catch a deal on some of the components for the i7 860 system.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
yeah, i'd say i7 860 for brute force computing or Phenom II 905e if you wish to save power

grimlock2003

Nov 29, 2003
I decided to go with the i7 860. Can't wait to get everything up and running and start crunching!

Thanks again.