Question Recieved New Ryzen 3950x build. Need better boost speeds

arcitek

Jun 6, 2020
I just recieved my new build. Asus Prime X570-Pro MB with my ryzen 3950x. I have 32 gigs of 3400 speed HyperX Fury ram. How can I increase the turbo boost speeds? It seems to hang at around 3.9 - 4.2 in core temp graph under 100% load during my vray renderings and I would like to maximize these boost speeds. I have read elsewhere that 4.5-4.7 can be expected. I have also read that manual overclocking on this CPU is not preferable for my needs so then I am left with somehow tweaking the turbo boost....I guess. The system is currently watercooled and hits temps of 69-72 under sustained rendering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just recieved my new build. Asus Prime X570-Pro MB with my ryzen 3950x. I have 32 gigs of 3400 speed HyperX Fury ram. How can I increase the turbo boost speeds? It seems to hang at around 3.9 - 4.2 in core temp graph under 100% load during my vray renderings and I would like to maximize these boost speeds. I have read elsewhere that 4.5-4.7 can be expected. I have also read that manual overclocking on this CPU is not preferable for my needs so then I am left with somehow tweaking the turbo boost....I guess. The system is currently watercooled and hits temps of 69-72 under sustained rendering.

3.9 - 4.2 are what I would expect. Anything beyond that is probably on custom water and highly overclocked.

Reactions: arcitek

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

4.5 GHz - 4.7 GHz is the boost when only using a single or maybe 2 of the CPU cores. For rendering, all the cores are engaged and I would expect the frequencies to be exactly what you are seeing. If you are most concerned about rendering performance, you might be able to manually overclock and get a little bit more performance but when you overclock, you lose the boost behavior so single core tasks would lose a little performance. It's up to you if going through all the overclocking hassle is worth the 5 - 10% faster renders you might get with it.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
AMD probably isn't putting the good clock speed chips on the 3950X. I'd say either suck it up or return it for a 3900XT when they get announced in two weeks.

Reactions: arcitek

arcitek

Jun 6, 2020
It's up to you if going through all the overclocking hassle is worth the 5 - 10% faster renders you might get with it.

that is a fair point. To be honest, the cpu is slaying the renderings compared to my 9th generation I7 9850 build. On an Arnold rendering in 3dsmax, the rendering clocked in at 2 hrs 20 min. On my ryzen the way I have it set up, it clicked in at 1 hr 12 min. I am thinking it is not worth messing with.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scannall

arcitek

Jun 6, 2020
AMD probably isn't putting the good clock speed chips on the 3950X. I'd say either suck it up or return it for a 3900XT when they get announced in two weeks.

not sure it really matters. If you look at response below, my render time increased dramatically with 3950x. I will also mention that it will be one thing to announce new chips, it is another to actually provide them to the market at non inflated prices. It was crazy looking for build parts, trying to find them in stock and thennot overpaying for them. The impact covid has had on production is ridiculous.

Reactions: Tlh97

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@arcitek

You have two options short of using a static OC.

1). Play with PBO
2). Try to trick the boost algo into boosting higher with negative voltage offsets/low LLC settings (this worked on my 3900x in MT workloads)

If all you're doing is renders in 3dsmax, you could set a static OC and tune around that specific application using something like Ryzen Master. If you run too many different applications then static OC could get to be a bit of a headache.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Zen2 outside of exotic/subambient cooling is almost (exceptions are usually the lower core count models and ones with lower base clocks) always not worth OC work. They're incredibly well tuned out of the box so to speak.

Ram tuning OTOH can have major impacts.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scannall

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
not sure it really matters. If you look at response below, my render time increased decreased dramatically with 3950x. I will also mention that it will be one thing to announce new chips, it is another to actually provide them to the market at non inflated prices. It was crazy looking for build parts, trying to find them in stock and thennot overpaying for them. The impact covid has had on production is ridiculous.

Fixed that for you, although I'm sure you had meant to say that your render speed has increased dramatically with the 3950x.

that is a fair point. To be honest, the cpu is slaying the renderings compared to my 9th generation I7 9850 build. On an Arnold rendering in 3dsmax, the rendering clocked in at 2 hrs 20 min. On my ryzen the way I have it set up, it clicked in at 1 hr 12 min. I am thinking it is not worth messing with.

I'm pretty sure he was kidding with you, since a 1900XT will clock higher, but since it only has 12 cores, it will for sure be slower in rendering than your 3950X. It would require the clock speed to increase by 25%, to make up for it only having 75% as many cores, and there is close to a zero percent chance of that happening...and then it would only match your 3950X in rendering speed. Your next step up the ladder is more cores. If you don't mind paying twice what you paid for your 3950X, you can buy a 24-core 3960X, but those also require different and more expensive motherboards, so it would not at all be cheap, but it would increase your speeds by 50%, as long as you don't mind buying a larger AIO setup, so you can clock 24 cores as high as your 16 cores are going now.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Zen2 outside of exotic/subambient cooling is almost (exceptions are usually the lower core count models and ones with lower base clocks) always not worth OC work. They're incredibly well tuned out of the box so to speak.

Ram tuning OTOH can have major impacts.

Using the OP's scenario it's the easiest place to pick up some free performance. Trial and error with a static overclock is what I'd be looking into if dabbling in PBO didn't cut it....Otherwise like you said it's not really worth the hassle or effort.