Rechargeable Batteries | Need help purchasing for digital camera.

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
Hopefully someone out there has the info that I am looking for, so help me out folks.

Just recently bought an Olympus D-460 digital camera. This camera uses four AA NiMH, alkaline, lithium or NiCd batteries, or two CR-V3 lithium battery packs (which came with the camera, but or not rechargeable). The manual states that NiMH or CR-V3 lithium battery packs are recommended.

Based on that, I have some questions:

Where is a good place to purchase rechargeable batteries and a recharger?
Is any particular brand considered better than the rest?
Once the CR-V3's that came with the camera run out of power, should I go with AA NiMH or get CR-V3 packs?
Do they even make CR-V3 rechargeable battery packs?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
you can ask the experts who have them in the forums of this site

if you want to know some general facts about nimh, go here where you can also purchase batteries =)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Here are two excellent Hot Deals threads with lots of information about rechargeable batteries.

Thread 1

Ok well I can't find the second one but that first post has 135 posts!

Murpheeee

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
Pay attention to the mAh figure.

The higher the better, they last longer (mine are 1600)

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
Thank you gentlemen. Just for giggles, once I decide on something and make a purchase, I'll post the info here so that someone else might benefit from it.

Thanks again.

-b

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
In case you don't take the time to read the thread that was offered, here is a summary of tips for you:

1. The cheapest place to get good rechargeables and rechargers are on the net. But you can find what you want locally, if you want to save time or hassle. I personally have bought 1600mAh rechargeables at Target and Wal-Mart...and have seen them at Radio Shack as well. They wanted too much for the batteries, but I got a noce recharger there.

2. As stated earlier, you want to go by the mAh rating. Don't be fooled - the best alkaline makers aren't necessarily the best at rechargeables. Energizers are NOT that good (about 1200mAh, I believe). Ray-O-Vac sells some excellent ones at a good price (1600mAh, around 11-12 dollars for 4), but you need to make sure you check the package - you might accidentally get some older clear-outs which are lower rated.

Good luck!

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
So here is what I ended up doing:

After reading this thread, I decided to do my shopping at Sunn Battery Company. I own a RIO500 and an Olympus D-460 digital camera, both of which have a pretty healhty appetite for AA batteries, so I looked for one of the bundles sold at the Web site that suited my needs.

My order contained:

- 12 Ultra high 1600 MAH capacity NiMH Nexcell batteries
- 1 MAHA 204F charger
- 1 DC car kit

The total was just under $57 for everything, including s/h.

Hope someone else gets something useful outta this, 'cuz I know it was quite a learning experience for me.