Rechargeable Batteries and Charger

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Spades45, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Spades45

Spades45 Member

So I'm tired of proprietary rechargeable batteries like the Xbox 360 play and charge kit but I also am very against disposable alkaline batteries. So wasteful, it just feels wrong. I've used NiMH rechargeable battery packs in my RC kits and airsoft guns for years so I'm not new to the technology, but I am new to the general consumer use.

I want to buy some high quality rechargeable AA, AAA, and 9V batteries and a compatible charger. Any recommendations? Should I go NiMH or is it worth it to go lithium? Any specific brands to go for or avoid? Thanks in advance

2. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

Eneloops/Duraloops. Done.
    I'm using up my last pack of disposables, then hopping back on the rechargeable wagon too. Sick of wasting so much.

3. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

4. astrosfan315

astrosfan315 Golden Member

This is what I use as well for everything in the house...controllers, flashlights, etc.

5. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

I use the Eneloops as well along with the La Crosse BC-700 charger. Since the slow discharge batteries (like the Eneloops) aren't cheap, you may want to keep your eye on Slickdeals as there are usually some good deals for slow discharge rechargeables. I see the deals the most at Toys-R-Us oddly enough.

6. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

I use that lacrosse, though mine is blue. Have had it for years. I bulk buy AA/AAA when I see them on sale and use them in remotes for the tv and what not, but for regular use stuff generally seem to go with something like rayovac hybrids due to their low cost. Eneloops are very well reviewed but not terribly cheap.

7. zephyrprime

zephyrprime Diamond Member

The problem with rechargables on the xbox controller is that they don't last nearly as long as alkaline. I wish lithium were more readily available for xbox. Maybe you could rig up your own lithium polymer battery for xbox with some batteries off of ebay?

Yeah, here we go: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=726495

#7 zephyrprime, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  8. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

do any B&M stores carry Eneloops? I've heard Costco does, but I don't have a membership and I don't need a dozen batteries. just 4 + the charger

9. Spades45

Spades45 Member

thanks guys these are AWESOME highly recommended

10. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

I also use teh Eneloop batteries with the Xbox and Wii controllers among many other things in the house. I've heard good things about the charger mentioned above, though I have the PowerEx which is also highly regarded.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-C90...ef=pd_sbs_hg_3

#10 KentState, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  11. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Costco definitely does and it's not a dozen batteries, just a set of four with the charger.

12. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

I use a Energizer "15 Minute Speed Charger" or some such, and about 4-6 rechargeable Energizer AAs.

*shrug*

Couldn't be simpler. Have one set charged while playing with the other. When those start to die several weeks later, pop the new ones in, charge the ones I just took out, and repeat the cycle.

13. fatpat268

fatpat268 Diamond Member

2 rechargeables will still last you a long time... certainly a lot longer than those junk battery packs that MS sold.

And you don't really understand batteries, do you? Battery life is all about capacity, not what they're made of. The lithium battery you see in that link is rated at around 700-800 mAh. Alkaline aa will get you almost 3000mAh, and nimh aa will get you 2000-2500mAh. Sure, you could beef up the lithium battery, but it becomes more and more expensive.

The primary reason lithium batteries exist in these applications is to provide a higher voltage, not capacity.

14. Spades45

Spades45 Member

i used to use those. the difference switching to eneloops is night and day.

15. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Perhaps you're right, but I just can't honestly justify it.

For the amount of gaming I do (maybe 1-3 hours a night on average, if lucky), my typical charge will last me at least 2-3 weeks. When that happens, I pop the new ones into the controller that have been sitting there, and put the old ones into the charger, done charging 15 minutes later and waiting and ready for 3 weeks from now when it's their turn.

These are on ~5 year old Energizer rechargeables too.

I just can't justify spending any amount over that for a system that leaves me literally NO downtime when charging/playing.

16. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Heh, my old 1983 boombox batteries were 10 bucks EACH back then, took 24 hours to charge fully and lasted 1.5 hours. Batteries have come a long long way.

17. Pheran

Pheran Diamond Member

I use exactly the same setup, works great in Xbox controllers.

18. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

I use the rockfish charging pad. The charge lasts pretty long, I can get a couple solid days of gaming out of one charge, and as long as I remember to put it back on the pad I don't have to worry about batteries at all. The only problem is the super bright leds.