Recently picked up Skyrim (PS3 slim 320GB)

Theshawty

Aug 15, 2012
I recently picked up Skyrim for my PS3 Slim 320GB. I figured I might as well since my laptop can't play it very nicely. How do you think it runs for the PS3?

I have put down roughly 300 hours in it on the laptop, with stuttering and micro-freezes here and there. I mean, despite only having 512MB of RAM, it doesn't have to power a million programs running in the background or a virus protection, or a heavy OS like Windows 7. Just the XMB which I believe isn't that resource-hogging?

Anyways, I have read a lot about Skyrim having some bug which renders it unplayable after the save file grows a few megabytes in size and stuff like that. I also heard from some guy that it doesn't matter what size the save file is in and that what matters is what you do in the game and in what order you do them? (No idea)

What's the average frame-rate on this game overall? I'm used to stutter and horrible FPS.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I don't know all the specific answers to your questions, but the game becomes unplayable after a certain amount of time. It differs between players, some never even get hit with the effect (but it's rare).

From what I gather, the Xbox 360 is the best optimized version, then PC then PS3.

Quite frankly I'm shocked they haven't resolved this by now. I remember reading about this a week or so after release.

Theshawty

Aug 15, 2012
I don't know all the specific answers to your questions, but the game becomes unplayable after a certain amount of time. It differs between players, some never even get hit with the effect (but it's rare).

From what I gather, the Xbox 360 is the best optimized version, then PC then PS3.

Quite frankly I'm shocked they haven't resolved this by now. I remember reading about this a week or so after release.

I understand. Well, it's nothing common that the X360 version is more "fluid" per se, since, if I understand it correctly, multiplatform games are always developed on the weakest system, and then ported to other systems.

Why aren't developers taking the PS3 and its structure much more seriously than they do? Somehow, it feels like their developing games for the PS3's PPE, or one of the SPE's while leaving the rest to collect dust.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
I have the PS3 version and the game was waaay worse at launch. They fixed up the unplayable after a certain period and reduced the IQ quite a bit to make it work. However it still can become unplayable. If you have a 360 get it on that it's a lot better.

Also the memory leak isn't actually fixable, NV on PS3 is damn near unplayable because of it and never fixed.

Theshawty

Aug 15, 2012
I have the PS3 version and the game was waaay worse at launch. They fixed up the unplayable after a certain period and reduced the IQ quite a bit to make it work. However it still can become unplayable. If you have a 360 get it on that it's a lot better.

Also the memory leak isn't actually fixable, NV on PS3 is damn near unplayable because of it and never fixed.

I don't have a 360 and I don't intend to get one, ever. I never were a Microsoft console fan. Heck, I had a PS2 slim back in the day. I guess I got a PS3 to have some laid-back gaming, but when I realized how much I actually want to play PC games at great quality, and being able to mod it to hell, I started regretting buying a console (and a TV to go with). All in all, I could have gotten a monster PC for that cash. I'm gonna look into getting one next year, though.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
PC is really the only way to play Skyrim.

Really ANY Bethesda RPG, because easily half the fun is the modding.

Playing it on console is seriously gimping it.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

The worst part of bethesda games on consoles is the load times. Take so damn long. On a PC, especially with an SSD, it's practically instant.

Theshawty

Aug 15, 2012

For me, 80% of the fun is modding.

As soon as I get some money, I'll buy a gaming computer for sure. For now, though, this is what I've got and I gotta try to appreciate it. :p

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
For me, 80% of the fun is modding.

As soon as I get some money, I'll buy a gaming computer for sure. For now, though, this is what I've got and I gotta try to appreciate it. :p

Perhaps pick up another game? There are a lot of great games out there, you just started with the wrong one :)

I like the Uncharted style games (exclusive games to the PS3 - optimized to use their tech). Maybe pick up a bundle for cheap, although I think the 2nd one is the best (from what I hear) if you just want one of the 3.

Theshawty

Aug 15, 2012
Played UC2 and 3, loved them. Played Skyrim for 2 hours now, it's actually decent and I don't need modding. Those 300+ hours I played on my laptop was without mods since my craptop dont do too well with em anyways :p

Sent from my GT-i9300 using Tapatalk 2

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Bethesda's games often aren't adequately QA tested before launch. There's really no excuse for it since a lot of the game breaking bugs crop up early on. Xbox 360 seems to get the best treatment but it's not immune. The PS3 version of Skyrim has been especially problematic. Even on PC, weird issues are encountered with multi-GPU systems. However, it's still the best way to play the game. Mods alone make it worth it.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

The load times on the console version are simply unacceptable IMO. I have both 360 and PC version.

The PC version allows me to play for fun since if I make a mistake and go into a wrong area I can correct it in seconds. Xbox it's like being put in time-out ;)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Skyrim was the first of the Bethesda games that I was able to get drawn into. I managed to put a lot of hours (by my standard) into the game before finally completing the main mission. I followed that up with Fallout 3 which I just completed (main story!) a couple of days ago. Another satisfying game that is similar to Skyrim but different for obvious reasons. Give it a shot if you're looking for a different angle on that style of gaming.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The load times on the console version are simply unacceptable IMO. I have both 360 and PC version.

The PC version allows me to play for fun since if I make a mistake and go into a wrong area I can correct it in seconds. Xbox it's like being put in time-out ;)

Not only that, but they compound the aggravation by only allowing to to fast travel to outdoor areas. So you usually hit a load screen, just to walk right into another load screen. It's ridiculous.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Bethesda's games often aren't adequately QA tested before launch. There's really no excuse for it since a lot of the game breaking bugs crop up early on. Xbox 360 seems to get the best treatment but it's not immune. The PS3 version of Skyrim has been especially problematic. Even on PC, weird issues are encountered with multi-GPU systems. However, it's still the best way to play the game. Mods alone make it worth it.

I bet you one hundred million dollars that the game had lots of QA testing. A game like Skyrim probably had an army of bug testers at some outsourced test house logging a deluge of bugs.

The real issue is whether or not Bethseda chose to actually fix those bugs, or if they simply dispositioned these bugs to a 'Not going to fix it' status.

Having had a lot of experience with software testing (I hate it with a passion), I can tell you that most of the time they are aware of these bugs, but they choose not to fix it.
Its about balancing what the bug is (the hazard), with how much the bug affects the user experience (severity), with the chances that it will happen (occurence).
A lot of times, with that triple triad (a quality oriented perspective) you forget the business impact to fix a bug --> and it is something that plays a MUCH MUCH bigger role in videogames where sales are mostly made after launch....and where you can't miss deadlines because the releases are tended to be timed away from other major 'consumer distractions'.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
and where you can't miss deadlines because the releases are tended to be timed away from other major 'consumer distractions'

Which is dumb considering people who buy the game when it comes out for $60 are getting a worse experience than those who buy it 3 months later for half the price.

I'm at the very end of playing NV Ultimate on PS3. It's without a doubt the buggiest console game I've ever played. For a game which uses the same engine as Fallout 3, you'd think things would get better not worse.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Which is dumb considering people who buy the game when it comes out for $60 are getting a worse experience than those who buy it 3 months later for half the price.

I'm at the very end of playing NV Ultimate on PS3. It's without a doubt the buggiest console game I've ever played. For a game which uses the same engine as Fallout 3, you'd think things would get better not worse.

*shrugs* you are talking about idiosyncratic consumer behavior, I'm talking about general sales patterns for the industry, and why bugs are not fixed --> it isn't a matter of them doing zero QA, its a matter of them choosing not to fix these bugs, of which the vast majority are known issues recorded in some kind of bug tracker.

Perhaps having these steam sale style discounts are a good thing, because companies can expect 'bumper crops' of sales later on if a game's quality is good (thus encouraging them to fix bugs).

Last edited:

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003

It basically has, the 3rd or so patch was the big one that fixed the frame rate issues for larger saves. See the Digital Foundry article. What hasn't been solved is the DLC issues.

Anyhow the game sucks on all platforms.

Theshawty

Aug 15, 2012
Anyhow the game sucks on all platforms.

26696329.jpg