Recent xbox360 buyers - build quality?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
After a year there might finally be enough games on it to make buying one worth it to me, especially since I don't mind waiting until next year to pick up a PS3.

Has MS solved the overheating problems and high death rate of the first production runs? Was your first box a keeper or did it take more than one try to get a relaible unit?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
i'm considering picking one up for christmas along with gears of war. hopefully microsoft employee store will still have em in stock for 20 bucks :D

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
I bought one in march and have had no problems whatsoever.

you just have to make sure the xbox is well ventilated.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I got mine on the launch day and I have never had any issues, heat-related or otherwise.

Oct 19, 2000
The first one I bought exhibited heat issues (made it completely unuseable), and both my console and power brick are WELL ventilated (sitting on a perforated shelf with tons of room all around). My second 360 is working fine as of right now, and one thing I noticed between the systems is the fan is much more audible than the first system I owned.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I bought one in July and it started locking up on me last week :( .

If MS gives me any sh*t about repairing it at ALL, I'm just going to go to WalMart, buy a new one, and swap them out as defective. I don't give a damn if that's fraud or not. I shouldn't be stuck with a $400 hot plate just because MS can't build a reliable product.

Issues aside, I cannot WAIT to play Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas. Call of Duty 3 looks pretty good, too, but I'm not much of a WWII^1000 fan.

Oh, and Forza 2 ;) .

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
it should be covered under warranty. PLUS, they do sell extra fans that plug into the back...since i don't waste money on xbox3shitteh...i'm not sure if the fans work or not lol.

TUKIN18S

May 12, 2005
I bought mine 2 months ago and haven't had any problems at all. I've played it religously every day too. <knocks on wood> Just keep it well ventilated, don't stick it in a hot cabinet.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I had a first shipment one that died after about 9 months, but MS covered it. The new one seems fine.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ch33zw1z
it should be covered under warranty. PLUS, they do sell extra fans that plug into the back...since i don't waste money on xbox3shitteh...i'm not sure if the fans work or not lol.

They've suggested not using the Nyko Intercooler because it actually takes power away from the 360 since it hooks up via the power cord. MS has said that if you're going to use any cooling solution, use one that hooks up via the USB port like the Pelican fan stand.

edit: Link
Not long after the release of Microsoft?s Xbox 360, reports began to pour in about how hot the system gets during operation. While some gamers like myself never really had a heat issue, others reported overheating problems from day one. While claims that the system burst into flames or exploded were obviously exaggerated, many people had freezing or even shut down issues that are often attributed to how hot the 360 gets during operation.

Enter the Intercooler. Released this past summer, the device is put out by third-party manufacturer Nyko, and it claims to have the answer. According to the packaging, the accessory will ?increase performance? by cooling down the system. Reviews of the Intercooler across the board have been favorable, receiving accolades from magazines and gaming sites and selling out in stores. Is it all too good to be true, though? Can this relatively simple invention be the answer to all the heat-related problems the 360 can have?

The Intercooler is essentially a series of three fans in a vented housing that attaches directly onto the back of the Xbox 360. Small hooks hold it in place, catching onto the system?s own rear vent and securing the device without the need for screws or elaborate attachments (the unit also comes out easily by squeezing the sides to get the hooks out). The most unique feature, though, is how it is powered. The AC cord is pulled from the 360 prior to attaching the Intercooler, which has a jack that goes into the console?s power input. The AC adapter is then put into the Intercooler itself. When electricity is running into the system, the Intercooler pulls enough to run the three fans and the rest of the power goes through it and into the console.

Microsoft Customer Care representatives, though, have some less than kind things to say about the Nyko Intercooler. In fact, when calling about a broken 360, one of the first questions they often ask is whether or not the device is attached. Upon further investigation on why they would ask about that peripheral specifically, a couple of chatty representatives elaborated on the matter.

The first Microsoft rep stated that the device simply drains too much power from the 360. He explained that the console requires a specific amount of power, especially during startup, and that everything was built to supply the machine with the power it needs. The Intercooler drains a bit of that power right from the start, so the console is now getting less juice. Especially during the startup of the system, explained the rep, this can cause problems as the 360 is trying to supply electricity to all its parts and somewhere along the line won?t have enough to get everything running. This can allegedly lead to all sorts of technical problems up to and including the complete death of the system.

A second representative didn?t go into any of that, but did say that they have seen cases where the Intercooler caused ?scorch marks? on both the console and the peripheral. Where the Intercooler meets the AC input of the 360, he said, there has been multiple cases of brown discoloration, the result of too much heat where the two parts connect. In fact, if a console is sent to tech support and any evidence of that specific discoloration exists, Microsoft will promptly send the 360 back to the owner untouched.

In both cases, each rep went on to explain that Nyko?s Intercooler is an unlicensed device, and therefore Microsoft does not recommend its usage. They advised using only peripherals that have the official Microsoft seal of approval (a small green square on the packaging that states that it is approved for use on the Xbox 360). Interestingly, one of the reps mentioned the Pelican Fan Stand as an acceptable cooling option. While also unlicensed, the Fan Stand is plugged into the USB port, so the console is specifically powering it as a USB device rather than the peripheral just stealing electricity.

Of course, the true test of any peripheral is how well it does what it claims. I purchased an Intercooler, and at first was having no problems at all. The device did seem to be keeping the console cooler during operation, which is exactly what it is meant to do. Several of my friends also bought the device, and we did at first notice a definite drop in the heat that comes off of the system during operation. For all intents and purposes the Nyko Intercooler did exactly as promised.

Within two months of putting the Intercooler onto my 360, my console died. One evening, with no forewarning, the red ring of death heralded the demise of my system. I did own a launch console, and Microsoft recently announced that there was a problem with the early runs, so I figured that this was nothing to get worked up about and replaced the system at the store where I purchased it (going through the retailer warranty rather than Microsoft?s tech support, as this was prior to their decision to repair launch consoles free of charge).

My next console started making funny noises as soon as it was out of the box, so that also went back. The third 360 worked for about a month, and then that replacement?s disc tray refused to open one evening. This led me to get my fourth 360 console. The Intercooler was only on this replacement for a couple of days before the information I got from Microsoft?s Customer Care representatives convinced me to remove the peripheral. Since then I have had no issues at all with my 360 console.

During this same time period, most of my friends also had to replace their 360s. The symptoms varied, but the end result was the same. We all had Intercoolers on our consoles, and we all ended up having to exchange broken systems. Once we took the Intercoolers off, there have been no more issues. While hardly a wide focus group from which to draw information (we?re talking about 6 people), all of those that attached Intercoolers had problems. There was also one person who went through a couple of the Intercoolers themselves trying to get one that would even work at all.

Granted, given the wide range of problems that arose with our 360 consoles, this could all be chalked up to a bad string of luck. With the knowledge gained from talking to Microsoft?s employees, though, it makes one wonder if there is a distinct correlation between the addition of the Intercooler and the subsequent console malfunctions.

I contacted Nyko via e-mail, commenting that I had purchased an Intercooler and that my 360 died soon after. I stated that Microsoft had basically told me that the Intercooler itself had caused the system failure. Nyko?s response: ?As with most new products on the market, the Intercooler has an extremely small defective rate and is a very reliable product. We would like to assure you that Nyko stands by its products one-hundred percent, and will provide customer service and support for the Intercooler for the entirety of your ownership.?

This is a fairly standard customer service response, which honestly was to be expected. However, this all leaves us with more questions than answers. Is the Intercooler in fact bad for the console? Are Microsoft?s representatives pointing out a known problem with an unlicensed third party accessory, or are they using the device as a scapegoat for console malfunctions? Hopefully Microsoft and / or Nyko can offer some answers soon.

Opinion piece by Aaron Cohen.

Oct 26, 2006

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Mine is fine, no problems at all with it. It gets pretty warm to be sure, but nothing dangerous.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy

They've suggested not using the Nyko Intercooler because it actually takes power away from the 360 since it hooks up via the power cord. MS has said that if you're going to use any cooling solution, use one that hooks up via the USB port like the Pelican fan stand.

Only thing that sucks about that is that it requires that you use your Xbox 360 in a vertical position, which is not only inconvenient for some as far as space goes, but it's also been suggested that the 360 shreds discs when operated in an upright position.

It would be REALLY nice if you didn't have to fscking buy a cooling device so you could operate your $400 piece of hardware in standard operating conditions.

I know this term gets thrown around a LOT, but the Xbox 360 is a class action suit just waiting to happen.

You heard it here first.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: Queasy

Only thing that sucks about that is that it requires that you use your Xbox 360 in a vertical position, which is not only inconvenient for some as far as space goes, but it's also been suggested that the 360 shreds discs when operated in an upright position.

It would be REALLY nice if you didn't have to fscking buy a cooling device so you could operate your $400 piece of hardware in standard operating conditions.

I know this term gets thrown around a LOT, but the Xbox 360 is a class action suit just waiting to happen.

You heard it here first.

Someone already filed a class-action lawsuit but I don't think anything became of it. MS offering to replace 360s for free kind of killed it I think.

I don't use fans on mine and it runs fine. My first one died but I don't think it was heat related. It croaked immediately after MS's first mandatory patch back in the spring (this was prior to the spring update).

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I bought my Xbox 360 at the beginning of September. I have it standing upright on the wooden floor next to my TV set and the power brick behind it. I haven't had any problems to date, but I don't exactly put a lot of stress on the unit. I would say I've played maybe a grand total of 20 hours on it so far, leaving it on at most for 2-3 hours at a time.

I hadn't heard of the vertical Xbox's shred discs theory. I haven't noticed any degradation in my game discs so far. I'll keep an eye on that.

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Mine has been going strong from March of last year. I think you'll be good to go.

Something smells fishy...

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
After a year there might finally be enough games on it to make buying one worth it to me, especially since I don't mind waiting until next year to pick up a PS3.

Has MS solved the overheating problems and high death rate of the first production runs? Was your first box a keeper or did it take more than one try to get a relaible unit?

The ovwer heating was the dumbassess that ran the 360 sitting / lating on the carpet for hours at a time and then they womder why it cooked..:roll:

I have own 2 release 360's and never had one issue.

do not belive everything you see on the net,there are plenty of dumbass people / kids out there..

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Mo0o
i'm considering picking one up for christmas along with gears of war. hopefully microsoft employee store will still have em in stock for 20 bucks :D

That game looks awesome! I am waiting until they release the 360's with the new, smaller 65mm chip in an HD-DVD bundle.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Wapp
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Mine has been going strong from March of last year. I think you'll be good to go.

Something smells fishy...

maybe he works for microsoft and managed to get one 6+ months before everyone else? :confused:

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Kaido

That game looks awesome! I am waiting until they release the 360's with the new, smaller 65mm chip in an HD-DVD bundle.

Do we know when that's going to happen? Will it help resolve heat issues?

[edit]

NM, did a search and it looks like it will be Q1 '07.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: Kaido

Do we know when that's going to happen? Will it help resolve heat issues?

The chip size reduction is supposed to happen in the first half of next year. No definitive date is set but I'm sure we'll hear from those that like to crack open cases as soon as it does.

Since the CPU is typically the largest source of heat and die-shrinks generally reduce the amount of heat generated....it should help with the "heat issues".