Question Recent new build, downstream poweroutage, considering a UPS

Nov 26, 2005
Recently built a new computer. There's been more than several power outages, in the last 6 months, on my feed from the substation. I don't want anything to be destroyed or end up unreliable, so I'm looking for an Uninterruptible Power Supply. I don't know what to look for or look-out for when purchasing these things. Can anyone give me any tips when looking into them? I guess I just want something that will protect my hardware (2 complete PCs and networking hardware) until I have a chance to power them down.

Halp! hah

Thanks for your time

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Since 2010 I primarily bought CyberPower Sinewave units (like this one.). They worked great and the batteries really held up.

However, when I bought a few more in 2016 - 2018, the batteries didn't hold up well at all, and one was pretty much died in a few weeks. IMO, the quality control has gone down.

I began replacing them with this APC unit, and I've been happy with them so far. The batteries are much easier to get to/replace, and they've worked great during the many power outages / storms that have come through. I tend to buy only the sinewave units as they are usually a little better quality and I don't have to worry about the possibility of some of the electronics turning off when switching over to battery power.

If you want to know more about that subject, you can look here (or Google for other guides): https://blog.tripplite.com/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-explained/

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN
Nov 26, 2005
Since 2010 I primarily bought CyberPower Sinewave units (like this one.). They worked great and the batteries really held up.

However, when I bought a few more in 2016 - 2018, the batteries didn't hold up well at all, and one was pretty much died in a few weeks. IMO, the quality control has gone down.

I began replacing them with this APC unit, and I've been happy with them so far. The batteries are much easier to get to/replace, and they've worked great during the many power outages / storms that have come through. I tend to buy only the sinewave units as they are usually a little better quality and I don't have to worry about the possibility of some of the electronics turning off when switching over to battery power.

If you want to know more about that subject, you can look here (or Google for other guides): https://blog.tripplite.com/pure-sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-explained/

Have you noticed any slight or major differences with any of your machines operating in normal use/power on?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Have you noticed any slight or major differences with any of your machines operating in normal use/power on?
In what ways?

I guess I don't understand the question. They really don't do anything unless they detect a power outage, or voltages coming in are too high or too low, and then they switch to battery mode until the power is restored to the correct parameter (or they run out of a charge and turn off).

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN
Nov 26, 2005
In what ways?

I guess I don't understand the question. They really don't do anything unless they detect a power outage, or voltages coming in are too high or too low, and then they switch to battery mode until the power is restored to the correct parameter (or they run out of a charge and turn off).

I guess I'm super sensitive to slight differences from the norm.

So are all 10 plugs redundant? I see the link to the one you're using says 6 are battery backed up and the other 4 have surge protection.

Nov 26, 2005
All the UPS units I've owned have one side of plugs that are battery and surge protected. The other side of plugs are surge protected only.

You plug non-essential items like computer speakers and such into the non-battery side.

I was kinda figuring something like that, even daisy chaining off them. Have you ever daisy chained off of a few of the outlets to get more use out of the plugs? And if so were there any problems?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I've heard of Acitve PFC power supplies have problems with a step-sined UPS. Maybe that's changed. I've been rocking a pair of CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD for quite some time. I just buy new batteries about every 3 years. I have one CP1500PFCLCD connected to my main rig and one to my home server. I then split the peripherals between the available battery powered outlets. It's as important to keep up your network and it does your computers. Switch, router, cable modem. I also have my monitor battery powered. It's nice not having to turn off the pc in the event of a power outage. As long as it's not more than 30 minutes, I'm able to continue as if nothing happened.