Recent FPS games I missed?

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
So it's been a while since I've played a good single player FPS. Last one I played was Fallout3. I have ClearSky, but my computer isn't quite up to it.

What should I play? I want something relatively up-to-date graphically.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Try playing Clear Sky even if you have to put everything on minimum, as it's quite an exceptional game. I?m actually playing through it again right now.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Wait, a new wolfenstein besides return to castle wolfenstein? I gotta check that out...

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
I am holding off on Clear Sky until I get a card to play it in DX10. It is a pretty game.

Wolfenstein looks cool, but has SecuROM. I am trying to stay away from that as much as possible.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
I might just go ahead and play clear-sky with the graphics down. I had a love/hate relationship with Shadow of Chernobyl, and Clear Sky is a little buggy, but still an awesome, unique game.

I might play through Fallout 3 again, from the beginning.

I never played the first F.E.A.R., is that worth checking out? I played the demo for the second one and I didn't really like it. The demo for fear 1 scared the crap out of me though!

Any other suggestions?

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
If you havent played the first FEAR, then that should be high on the list. That was a great little FPS game with creepy moments to boot. I found that to be far better then the second one.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Cool! That's it then, I'll play F.E.A.R.. It'll probably scare the crap out of me, but all the better. Based on the demo, the second fear wasn't as good, I'm glad you can confirm that.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
You should play through Fallout 3 again with mods & addons. Fantastic game.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
that's definitely something I want to do. I had a couple mods that helped change the Pipboy UI and decrease item degradation, but that's it

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Here are the ones I recommend:

FOOK (Actually, they just released FOOK2)
Martin's Monster Mod
Weapon Mod Kits

... and there are some other fantastic ones as well.

Incidentally, the game is also decently challenging now; and battles are epic.

at Fallout3nexus. Do a list of the "Top 100" and then organize by "of all time". You'll get the most popular ones.

Cheers.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Wow, those are some serious changes! FOOK sounds good because it's all inclusive (weapons, harder enemies, etc)

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
WHOA, definitely pick up FEAR! Despite its age, few game have done particle effects as well, and I think they nailed the pace of combat perfectly. Sometimes you won't see an enemy for 10 minutes, but each moment you're terrified to turn the next corner. Make sure you play with the lights off!