• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Recent Changes in projects

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Minecraft@home now has a CPU project. The Minecraft GPU project has always (in my experience) been very inefficient and pretty much not worth running except to get another stats milestone.

However, the CPU project looks like it will be VERY good for credit rewards.

I've only done a small amount of testing on a secondary computer so far, but the results are interesting.

Quadro K2200 GPU averages about 3.2 hours per task. Credits range from around 2400 to 3100 per task. The Quadro is a temporary (had it in a desk drawer at work) replacement for a GTX 750ti that died recently. The 750ti was averaging about 2.9 hours per task for the same credit range. Approximately 25K credits per day.

Intel i7-4790 (not K) averages about 2.4 hours per single thread task, running 6 tasks simultaneously and leaving 2 threads for the GPU. Credits are locked at 2500 per task. Approximately 25K per day per CPU thread, based on a few hours of testing. And that's on a 7-year-old CPU. I have a feeling they won't leave the credits that high for very long. That's even more credits than Universe@home gives.

RAM usage is almost nonexistent. GPU tasks use about 60MB of RAM, and CPU tasks use 1.3MB per task.

When I'm in the mood, I'll test the apps on my GTX 1060 and Ryzen 9 3900X as well to see how they compare. The computer that is running it now is the one that my girls use to play Minecraft so it seemed appropriate. :cool:

edit:
The GTX 1060 is averaging around 55 minutes per task and the Ryzen 9 3900X is averaging around 2 hours and 1 minute per task. That puts the GPU estimate around 78.5K per day (lame) and the CPU at about 30K per day per CPU thread, so somewhere around 660K per day running 22 tasks. That's pretty silly for a CPU project, but I just might have to run it for a while to boost my stats milestone in the project - at least until they drop the credits down to a reasonable number...

Definitely moving the GPUs to different projects, though!

On a side note, one of the project devs has been doing their development and testing on a Pi 4 and it is averaging around 4 hours per task, so if you have any lonely/lazy Pi 4 boards lying around, they could score around 40K per day (10K per core).

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
World Community Grid
You may have seen it in your boinc notices:
IBM is handing the operation of WCG over to a Toronto based research institute.
According to the announcement, the way how WCG works (not just hosting of projects, but I presume also the curating of the projects) is supposed to stay the same. There is no explanation for why IBM is withdrawing (if I may call it this way).

World Community Grid finds a new home at Krembil Research Institute

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
The WCG web pages look rather different now. I just discovered it, therefore haven't looked around enough to make up my mind if for the better or worse.

Edit:
So far the changes seem to be cosmetic, not about functionality. The personal "history", "devices" and "results" pages now have a button with which you can download these tables in CSV format. Is this new?

The change must have been made already early in the past week. At least that's what the dates of the inevitable complaints in the WCG forum are indicating.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
NFS@Home
The project URL was switched to HTTPS, i.e. it changed from http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/ to https://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/.

Out of curiosity, I hit 'update' on NFS on a computer which has the old URL (while the project is at 'no new work'), and got this message in the client log:
You are attached to this project twice. Please remove projects named NFS@Home, then add https://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/
Well, the computer is not attached twice. Anyway, moral of the story: Before the next time one wants to run NFS@Home, it has to be removed from the client, then re-attached.

I haven't looked up what happens if you are actively running NFS right now. The proper cause of action would certainly be to set it to 'no new work' right away, wait until all tasks are completed and reported, then remove and re-attach.

Skivelitis2

Jan 1, 2021
I'm currently running NFS for WUProp hour purposes (nothing to do with FB sprint) until the WCG challenge. I am getting the " using an old url ...Please detach/reattach when convenient" message.

Edit: My bad.....thought a sprint for this project may have started!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY