Receiving Spam & Email from my own URL

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
In the last month or two I have started receiving Spam and Email from my own URL. For example: Say I own the URL of www.1234.com. I would be getting emails and spam from Jim@1234.com and Mike@1234.com and most of these would have a ZIP file the sender wants me to open. My antivirus would go off telling me that there is a virus in the ZIP file.

1. How does the sender make it look like they are sending from my URL?

2. How do I determine who the true sender is?
When I originally set up my www.1234.com URL I checked the box that would allow ANY emails with my URL to come in. I did this because, if someone wanted to send Thomas.Franklin@1234.com an email but misspelled his name such as Homas.Franklin@1234.com then I would still get the email and it would not be bounced back. Yes, I can always go back and uncheck this box, which is likely what I will need to do.

Any other thoughts on this?

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
look at the email header. Check the mx records on your host. Maybe change passwords on the host login.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Someone has hacked in yo. Change your cPanel password. Scan your Comp for malware. If this is WordPress (which I doubt) you may have to add some security plugins.

This could really affect your E-mail as you could end up on a blacklist. I would now check your domain here. http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

If you have a VPS, consider adding Fail2Ban.

Elizine

Aug 15, 2015
bodhost.com
I think it's malware infestation,so try Malware /Spyware scans. Also try changing passwords and or totally changing your email address. Probably the best thing to do would be to exit outlook and use something more secure, Gmail via Mozilla Firefox would be better.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I think it's malware infestation,so try Malware /Spyware scans. Also try changing passwords and or totally changing your email address. Probably the best thing to do would be to exit outlook and use something more secure, Gmail via Mozilla Firefox would be better.
Eh, did you even read OP's post?

The e-mail header shows who was sending it, as was already mentioned. Most likely that is a proxy as well.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Just thought of something. Read your sent E-mail and check your logs for IP's that shouldn't be there. If you see an IP that isn't yours report it to the host that has it or their ISP. I would also talk to your host about this.

Please give us an update!