Receivers Hdmi firmware upgrade 2.0 to 2.1

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Hey has anyone hear of any companies (Denon, Yamaha etc etc) stating that they should be able to update the Hdmi port on their receivers to 2.1 via firmware? I found this on Hdmi.org

Will HDMI 2.0a require special hardware support or is this a firmware/software only upgrade?
This is dependent on manufacturers and their system designs. Please contact the manufacturers for detail of their system designs and upgradability.

Has anyone email/talked to any manufacturers and gotten any info so far?

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Don't count on it, that is their reason for getting you to buy a new receiver. Until adding features via firmware updates becomes even remotely common place in receivers, no ones going to be the first to give you less of a reason to buy upgrades.

It is something you would see from an up and coming company who is looking for a way to edge above the big guys, kind of like how new cellphone upstarts use unlocked boot loaders and android updates as reasons to buy over Samsung and LG.

MavericK96

Mar 21, 2009
I've heard of some manufacturers adding support for DTS:X and Atmos via FW updates, so I guess it's possible.

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
Denon had an upgrade for Atmos or something related that required a HW mod, so it required you to send in the unit (7200 in particular in my reference).

Onkyo as another example, has a dedicated HDMI board, the same board that affected countless units that went belly up over the last several years.

Now, whether they change the design of said components that make them incompatible...that's TBD. That would be great if that were the case as they could still make money. I have the aforementioned 7200WA and would not be interested in a whole new receiver given I've only had this for <2 years.