Receiver Upgrade?

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I currently own an Onkyo TX-SR607 and I love it EXCEPT for Odyssey 2EQ witch does not provide sub woofer equalization and only has 3 measuring points.

The Denon AVR1712 is on sale right now and has Audyssey MultEQ®
XT with full sub woofer equalization and up to 8 measuring points.

My DIY sub woofer has a 500W Bash plate amp hooked up to a 12" down firing driver in a 20" sealed enclosure with a 15" passive radiator facing forward. It sounds good as it is but I am sure the sound could be enhanced with equalization.

Does anybody has experience with the 2 receivers or type of automatic audio correction?

Would it be worth it to upgrade? I can probably get a few hundred box (Canada) for my Onkyo on Kijiji.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
I will tell you in a few days, I just ordered a receiver with MultEQ XT. I am excited to do some testing. I know there are some problems with the bass in my room so I hope that helps along with helping with quality of all speakers.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
i went from a receiver with no built in EQ to one with multeq, and the difference was immediately noticeable.

however, I've tried my dad's 4311 which has multeq xt on my speakers, and I can't notice much of a difference between multeq and multeq xt

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Well I pulled the trigger. I just got back from the store and I am going to set it up right now. I got a super deal. More about it later.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I have been playing with this since yesterday now. I am not sure if I like it so far. MultEQ xt distance measurements are dead on. The sound is a lot brighter and the subwoofer output has been reduced drastically.
As a mater of fact the sub would not work at all in multi ch stereo and other modes until I set the main speakers to small.

Anyway, Ill be playing with it a lot more before I come to a definite conclusion. It`s probably a keeper.

And wait until I tell you how Future Shop tried to screw me and how I ended up with a super deal. Got to go for now.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
IIRC there are bass output modes like large only, large + sub, sub only etc. you may want to find/check those.

also, try setting the gain on your sub itself lower for the measurement. I found that helped with the bass being set too low by audyssey.

the denon manuals suck. check out this great site on setting up your denon receiver:

http://batpigworld.com/

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks vshah, Ill check it out later. I think I got the calibration pretty good now. I mounted the microphone on a tripod and measured at 8 locations.

The difference between receivers is unbelievable. The Denon is out of this world. Ill never own another Onkyo.

The sound is crisp, accurate and balanced throughout the room. The highs are a lot brighter and I don't really understand why such a difference between receivers. The bass is POWERFULL, earth shaking, yet tamed, pleasant, climaxing. So yes, sub woofer equalization makes a huge difference.

Best sound I have ever heard. All of it for $275., half the price I paid for my Onkyo two years ago.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Last Sunday I spotted this deal on a Denon 1712 at Future Shop, normally valued at $400, on sale for $300. It offered Odyssey MultEq xt at an unbeatable price here in Canada. I had been looking for an opportunity to upgrade my system to see what sub woofer equalization had to offer. This was the last day of the sale so I called one of the local store to see if they had it in store. They told me none of the local stores had any left and that I could not get a rain check and that I could not order one for this price. I figured I missed the deal.

Monday morning I checked the web site only to find out the same receiver is on sale once again but this time for $350. I called the store and this time they tell me they had all kinds in store. WTF, yesterday they had none.

Monday afternoon, I drove to the store, complained to the manager and he gave me the unit at the $300 price minus a $25 discount for an open box unit. Useless to say, I was ecstatic. it pays to complain.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I currently own an Onkyo TX-SR607 and I love it EXCEPT for Odyssey 2EQ witch does not provide sub woofer equalization and only has 3 measuring points.

The Denon AVR1712 is on sale right now and has Audyssey MultEQ®
XT with full sub woofer equalization and up to 8 measuring points.

My DIY sub woofer has a 500W Bash plate amp hooked up to a 12" down firing driver in a 20" sealed enclosure with a 15" passive radiator facing forward. It sounds good as it is but I am sure the sound could be enhanced with equalization.

Does anybody has experience with the 2 receivers or type of automatic audio correction?

Would it be worth it to upgrade? I can probably get a few hundred box (Canada) for my Onkyo on Kijiji.
It makes a HUGE difference! I think it is a no brainer.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm a bit wary after my last Denon purchase (2112ci). I've owned two prior (1610, 1910), and they worked very well, but the Denon seems to have taken on the "release now, patch later" approach to programming with the 2112. I've talked about it in other threads, but I've had AirPlay random stop working, and the menu refuse to come up. The AirPlay problem wasn't a huge deal, but not being able to access the menu? That's just inexcusable. I had to use the web interface just to make the changes that I needed.

I haven't had any issues lately... I believe since the last firmware update, but spending a modest amount of money and running into such hardships is not much fun.

EDIT:

Hmm I didn't even realize that Denon's '13 models were out. No wonder the '12s were on sale for a good price!

Last edited:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I sold my Onkyo TX-SR607 on Kijiji today for $220 so my upgrade cost me $100. WELL worth it in my opinion. :)

The only downside I have found so far is that there is no upscale to HDMI on the Denon.

Not much of a concern in my setup as I use all HDMI connections.

So yes, I am please with my new receiver.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I sold my Onkyo TX-SR607 on Kijiji today for $220 so my upgrade cost me $100. WELL worth it in my opinion. :)

The only downside I have found so far is that there is no upscale to HDMI on the Denon.

Not much of a concern in my setup as I use all HDMI connections.

So yes, I am please with my new receiver.
Have you done the Audyssey set up yet?

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
You got $220 for that receiver. Excellent negotiating skills :D

Don't forget, this is Canada, things are more expensive up here. Beside, the buyer told me he used to be a future shop home theater installer, so he knew what he was getting.