received strange popup

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
i was surfing on atot (there was aol instant messenger and a fileplanet window open in the background) when i got this weird popup. is this an ad from some other site, or spy-ware type thing, or what?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Damn. Why didn't I get that popup before I started college? I could have a prosperous future, money earning power, and the admiration of all without wasting all these years. :(

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Looks like the site grabbed your IP# & then did a net send to your IP#. It's easy enough to 'eliminate' this type of popup though...just disable the "Messenger" service.

Insomnium

Aug 8, 2000
HAHA, one of my teachers gets that message every time he boots the PC here at the university in front of our class. Doesn't have the slightest clue as to how to get rid of it and is always puzzled that it comes on, projected on a big screen for all us college students to see :D You'd think someone would fix it by now but this has been going on for like 2 weeks at least.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Insomnium
HAHA, one of my teachers gets that message every time he boots the PC here at the university in front of our class. Doesn't have the slightest clue as to how to get rid of it and is always puzzled that it comes on, projected on a big screen for all us college students to see :D You'd think someone would fix it by now but this has been going on for like 2 weeks at least.

we used to do net sends to our professor all the time. He finally figured it out after about 2 weeks. Pretty sad for a CS prof.

Scootin159

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: dquan97
I thought net send was an administrator's only kind of a tool.

That was it's intention, but there's no security levels associated with it.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Scootin159
Originally posted by: dquan97
I thought net send was an administrator's only kind of a tool.

That was it's intention, but there's no security levels associated with it.

Thank you microsoft!

What do you expect from a company who named themselves "Small and limp"?

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
I've gotten a couple of those too. Strange for me though because I only got them when I was running WinXP and was playing BF1942. Now the messenger service is disabled.
I wish all spam was that easy to block. :p

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hehe, the joys of being behind a firewall at all times. Never get the chance to see those.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Diplomas from prestigious non-accredited universities

Bachelors, masters, MBA, and doctorate (PhD)
diplomas available in the field of your choice.

No one is turned down.
Bwhahahahaha! How about if I want an advanced degree in credibility? :cool: