Received an Albert Cash Card in the mail...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
... I never signed up for this. I don't even know WTH it is. Entirely confused as how this got it me. It seems to be legit too - full size, heavy plastic card with a chip. My full name on it. 16 digit account number etc etc.
I've emailed their support asking WTF, but I'm just really confused (and worried) as to where this came from and if I should be worried about anything. Everything from the paperwork to the website itself has VERY little information or anything about WTF this thing is.

Anyone every receive an (as far as you know) unsolicited card like this in the mail? This better not be on my credit report either.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I don't think it's actually a credit account based on how they describe themselves. A card with 16 digits on it means nothing and your full name isn't hard to determine. Read the card carefully to see if it says anything like "this is not a credit card" etc.

I suspect this is just a clever marketing ploy to interest people into learning more

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Little follow up, I contacted their support (who got back to me pretty quick). They apologized and asked me to confirm full name on the card and the last 4 digits on the card and they'd close the account. I provide that and asked if there was any identifying information they could give me as to who/where/when the account was opened - ideally an IP address. They responded (quickly again) asking "For us to fully identify the account, can you please send us any possible emails that you have used?" Which makes no sense at all, as I'm EMAILING them. They have my email address.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't fully understand using the provided quote, but perhaps they'd just do a search of the system to see if your email shows up. I have several email accounts. It isn't inconceivable I could be writing to you through one, though a different account was involved in previous creation.

That's extrapolating a lot from that single quote though.

Reactions: highland145
Dec 10, 2005
So is it some sort of credit card or bank?

Consider locking your credit down, just as a way to protect your identity. It's free and easy to do these days. Easy to temporarily unlock it online too if you need to apply for credit.

And consider filing complaints with your state government (maybe state attorney general office) and maybe the FTC, since this was opened without your consent.

Reactions: highland145

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Little follow up, I contacted their support (who got back to me pretty quick). They apologized and asked me to confirm full name on the card and the last 4 digits on the card and they'd close the account. I provide that and asked if there was any identifying information they could give me as to who/where/when the account was opened - ideally an IP address. They responded (quickly again) asking "For us to fully identify the account, can you please send us any possible emails that you have used?" Which makes no sense at all, as I'm EMAILING them. They have my email address.
Sounds like they are farming more and more personal info from you...