Reccommend a CPU Fan

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Seeing the build I have below, it is older and when Im running games can get a bit loud. Its distracting during atmospheric games like Alien Isolation.

I would like the quietest fans I can get to keep it cool.

Is there one to add to the GPU as well?

Realistically how quiet can I get and still maintain comfortable temps?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Seeing the build I have below, it is older and when Im running games can get a bit loud. Its distracting during atmospheric games like Alien Isolation.

I would like the quietest fans I can get to keep it cool.

Is there one to add to the GPU as well?

You say nothing of the system's cooling strategy; nothing about the case; nothing about which fans are deployed therein.

So it is impossible to imagine, surmise, or assess whether you have a problem or the cause of it; what sort of choices you could make to fix it; and solutions that are both simple and inexpensive.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
You say nothing of the system's cooling strategy; nothing about the case; nothing about which fans are deployed therein.

So it is impossible to imagine, surmise, or assess whether you have a problem or the cause of it; what sort of choices you could make to fix it; and solutions that are both simple and inexpensive.

That's a little harsh. We can wildly speculate and offer misguided info at least. ;-)

OP:
If you're using the cpu stock cooler, then you have many options. Low cost CPU coolers that offer better temps with less noise would be:
Scythe Kotetsu
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Rev A
CM Hyper 212 EVO

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
That's a little harsh. We can wildly speculate and offer misguided info at least. ;-)

OP:
If you're using the cpu stock cooler, then you have many options. Low cost CPU coolers that offer better temps with less noise would be:
Scythe Kotetsu
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Rev A
CM Hyper 212 EVO

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing.

I just want an after market cooler to lower noise. Im not having any "problems" except it is loud. I have a full tower so space isnt an issue.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If there's sufficient intake CFM or adequate intake fans, I'd recommend the 212 EVO. If you want to spend cumulatively double the EVO's price, investigate something like a Noctua iPPC 120mm fan. The come in 3,000 RPM and 2000 RPM flavors.

Nor would I dissuade you from taking a "walk on the wild side" with the 3000 RPM version -- others might offer some discouragement.

But the key to your noise problem also derives from effective use of motherboard thermal-fan-control. Add another $10 to your "project," and you can control several fans from the CPU_FAN header while powering them directly from the PSU. The gadget is a PWM splitter called the Swiftech 8W-PWM-SPL-SAT or ST -- check at Performance PC's and Frozen CPU. Here it is:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html#Details

The other item you might want to consider is the ThermalRight blue-rubber accordion duct:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/ther...r-01x-120mm-tower-cooler-fan-duct-for-k8.html

These are designed to fit a certain ThermalRight heatpipe tower, but they work fine with similar towers of different manufacture, including the EVO.

The basic idea of it: You could almost abjure using ANY fan on the heatpipe tower itself if you had a reasonably quiet fan at the rear exhaust port with reasonably useful airflow potential (minimum 80 CFM to 100, 110 or higher).

Just in passing, almost beyond your requirement for information, I could tell you that you might suffer the necessary tedium with a $4 purchase of black foam-art-board (or any color, really), the appropriate glue, an Xacto knife, and an $8 package of Spire acoustic foam-rubber pads. You would build the duct box to fit snugly between the exhaust fan and the heatpipe-tower; then -- with attention to measuring the limits of your case for it -- wrap the box with the adhesive Spire material cut to size. If the box is designed for just the right interior dimensions, you could add a layer of the foam-rubber to the interior.

After that, you could even consider finding a 4,200 RPM Gentle-Typhoon AP30 PWM fan. That's a REAL walk on the wild side, but motherboard thermal fan-control, the effective ducting and acoustic enhancement would make that fan seem as tame as Sheri Lewis and Lamb Chop.

As to the motherboard/BIOS/proprietary-software fan control, you should find the solution for your motherboard by doing the homework.

PS -- a pretty good fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...TCH&Description=Cougar+Vortex&N=-1&isNodeId=1

You might want to look at these -- a little bit limp in the airflow for my taste, but sufficient. The Cougar Vortex also reminds me to tell you that you should secure all the fans in your chassis with rubber fan mounts to isolate the vibration from case metal. Here's a whole pile of options:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rubber+fan+mounts

You can also find them at Sidewindercomputers.com and FrozenCPU.com

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing.

I just want an after market cooler to lower noise. Im not having any "problems" except it is loud. I have a full tower so space isnt an issue.

The Kotetsu or the TS 140A have much quieter fans than the 212. Both cost a little more than a 212, but worth the price in silence.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm not a typical mainstreamer for current-day computer-building projects.

I have less of an aversion to doing sheet-metal case-mods or doing tedious things to enhance cooling by 2C here or 5C there if the improvements are all additive.

So I tend to look at the purchase of a cooler to consist of two, separate things: the cooler-design with fins, heatpipes and base; and the fan the makers chose to bundle with it. I'd just as soon buy a cooler that didn't include a fan in the bundle.

Of all the heatpipe coolers I've purchased and used over the last ten years, I've only left the stock fans installed on maybe 20 to 30% of them. For the remainder, I'd probably chosen the replacement fan either before purchasing the cooler, or within days following its installation.

I also tend not to split hairs over the cost of air-cooling options. If a cooler promises to provide a 5C performance advantage and costs $20 or $30 more than a "good" but less-expensive cooler, I'll buy it instead.

As for the sheet-metal modding work, I'm not eager to do that sort of thing these days. Time-consuming, messy. But it had generally produced a lot of stunning case designs for some who climbed on that bandwagon when it seemed to be the "thing to do."

BroHamBone

Apr 3, 2015
If price isnt an issue, why not get an all in one cooler? You can buy a couple aftermarket fans to keep quiet and cool. 140mm rad and fans would be quiet enough for you.

Otherwise a tower CPU cooler w/ 140mm fans to keep quiet

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Bqeuiet's Dark Rock is one of the best CPU coolers out there imho. I have the single fan version and it's probably the most quiet one you can get. Not exactly cheap, but a top performer for both thermal and noise. And imho it's maybe the best looking heatsink/fan you can get.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013

Extremely quiet. With the right hardware and a willingness to mess with fan settings a bit.

See, for example a recent review of the Scythe Mugen Max (~$50 w/ good case height compatibility)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1443-page7.html

100% (1300 RPM) - 32 dB - +34C
55% (700 RPM) - 16 dB - +38C
The stock 32 dB is actually pretty close to the background level for most commercial sound-meters, the 700 RPM level is essentially only audible in an anechoic chamber. You only give up 4C.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Im going to measure case dimensions and try the Mugen, Its a little more expensive but them DB tho lol.

I just need something to tide me over a few more months I hope until I can get a buikd going.