Reboots in XP when running 3d

sgtpepper06

Dec 27, 2001
First time using Xp. Newly installed, just today. Haven't done much except get drivers from the net. However when i tired to look at a Windows Media Player video the comp restarted. And then I installed Madden 2001 and tried to start it and the comp restarted. I have the Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200, and I installed the drivers from the CD and updated them from the net. Everytime I do something video card related the computer reboots. For the first time i recieved a "Serious Error Has to Do w/ the Geforce 3 Ti200" so i sent the error in. Does anyone have the same card and experience this prob w/ XP? In the Device Manager it doesnt say Gainward, all it says is Geforce 3 Ti200. What drivers do you people have installed, the ones who use Windows XP. basically every time i run something 3d related the computer reboots. First with Madden 2001, then with any 3d shockwave game, and now with Deus Ex. i just tried to make my screen saver 3D pipes and the computer rebooted. So something is wrong with my 3D, anyone ever experience this problem? I tried removing my video card from the device manager, and then instaling the new 23.11 drivers fresh, after restarting the computer. Still no change. I am using shockwave's Alien X as my test. But also if i try and open windows media or any game, i just get a reboot. I turned the hardware acc down to the third notch, which is
"Disable all Direct Draw and Direct 3D accelerations, as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations. Use this setting to correct severe problems with DirectX accelerated applications. Then I left on "enable write combining"
Now i am able to get into games, but if a turn the hardware acc up any more the comp reboots when i try to run a game.

I have everything but the Audigy installed
Abit KR7A-133
Audgiy Gamer
Gainward Geforce 3 Ti 200
AmD XP 1800+
Lite On 24x CDRW
ATA133 Maxtor 40 gig 7200 rpm HD
21'' Sony
Enermax Black Case, like the Alienware one
Teac Floppy
Netgear 10/100 NIC
Artic Silver 3
SK6 w/ a Delta
3 Case Fans
Enermax 340w PS
Windows XP Home
256 MB DDR Crucial

HTRednek

Jul 11, 2001
There are know issues with the via chipsets, Nvidia detonator drivers and XP causing exactly what your describing. Try using and older version of the video driver. Via has this to say about the problem http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64 but I found their solutions no help. Also Nvidia is due you new drivers soon we'll see if that helps.

sgtpepper06

Dec 27, 2001
ahhhhhhh, on the info it says that my driver version is 5 and my direct x verison is 5. When I try and update any of them it goes through with the installation, but nothing changes in the system info.