Question Rebooted Router, Now Wired Connection is Slower Than Wifi

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
ISP is Xfinity; internet tier is Extreme Pro rated up to 800 Mbps. Router is a TP-Link Archer AX50. My modem is a Netgear CM1100. I have six wired devices and one wired. The wired device is my primary laptop which sits directly beneath the router with with a Cat 6 cable.
On occasion I will shut down both router and modem for a few minutes as matter of maintenance, (maybe every 2 months or so), the most recent being this morning. Each time I do this my wired connection drops from its usual 940 Mbps to where it is right now, about 125 Mbps. Meanwhile, my wifi speed just clocked in at 388 Mbps. Based on past history, the wired connection will show these reduced speeds for several days and then gradually work back to the 900+ range.
Any ideas why this is happening? Thank you.

Last edited:

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Basic troubleshooting I would do:

Get another PC and connect it to that same wired connection and retest.
If the speedtest(?) is still at 125Mb, then we've confirmed it is most likely network infrastructure related.
If not, then its potentially on your laptop, though could still be something on the router.

What sort of maintenance are doing?

What happens if after powerup and getting 125Mb, you move the LAN connection to another port?
Does it still remain at 125Mb?

Can you then go into the router, check you speed and duplex port settings?
Maybe force them into 1000/full if currently auto?
Can you do the same on your laptop?

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Thanks for the reply. I plugged my wife's laptop, (identical Dell XPS 9350). Her wired speed was 594 Mbps. Then tested my laptop again and it was 178.